"fix" high beam switch

pwrcat4000

Problems with high beam switch turned them on the other day (night) now the hi beams are always on. I took off the cover and found a tiny piece of copper strap in the shape of a U in the cover. 
Is this some thing that came loose or broke? 

If I complete the circuit with a screw driver the high beams go off.  So what are my options?

Assuming I can afford a turn signal/high-beam switch are they even available?

Rig up a floor switch/dash switch?

is there a fuse that is just for the hi's?

Unplug them

The cops in my town will not tolerate all 4 headlights on (even though I adjusted the high beams down, and some kid with a late model mustang drives around all the time with 4 lights).
Thanks

Edited by pwrcat4000
spelling errors
  • Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, pwrcat4000 said:

Problems with high beam switch turned them on the other day (night) now the hi beams are always on. I took off the cover and found a tiny piece of copper strap in the shape of a U in the cover. 
Is this some thing that came loose or broke? 

If I complete the circuit with a screw driver the high beams go off.  So what are my options?

Assuming I can afford a turn signal/high-beam switch are they even available?

Rig up a floor switch/dash switch?

is there a fuse that is just for the hi's?

Unplug them

The cops in my town will not tolerate all 4 headlights on (even though I adjusted the high beams down, and some kid with a late model mustang drives around all the time with 4 lights).
Thanks

Unplug the high beam lights to get you going, not sure that will help with the other lights still being on high beam.

• Like 1

Just change the connection at the relay.  Just make it so that the lows are on while the relay is de-energized.  I'd have to look at the schematic, but I think the blinker switch provides a ground when the high beams are on.....that activates the relay.  When the blinker removes the ground, the relay should de-energize so that the relay is not constantly getting power with the lows on.  

• Like 1

When the headlight switch is turned on, it supplies power to the headlight relay on the red wire with a yellow stripe.

Inside the headlight relay power is applied to the coil, and to the normally closed contacts.   The wire going to the low beam lights is red with a black stripe.

The relay coil is grounded by the turn signal switch.   When the relay coil is grounded, the relay switches to the normally open contacts, and power goes to the high beam headlights on a red wire with a white stripe.

Pulling the green wire with a white stripe off the headlight relay should cause the relay to go to the normally closed contacts, turning on the low beam headlights, if the headlight switch is on.

521 wiring diagram.521wires.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

what is bad again the turn signal switch(stalk) or the relay?????

usually the stalk just puts a ground on the relay to put a double ground ON thus making both elements on the lamp to come on

It looks like there was some piece of copper that contacted the steering column and I think it broke or it just came off anyway when I ground it with a screwdriver of course the headlights go off what I've done so far is I have just adjusted all the lights to low beam but I'm hoping that that Facebook lead comes through because I would much rather just replace it it doesn't look like it's that difficult

• Like 1