Gear shift lever measures needed

MiltonV

Hi to all, first post here.

I just got a '71 and need the gear shift lever, previous owner chopped it and now is barely 7 inches from the floor.

Here in Costa Rica is near to impossible to find parts for these, used or new, so to make the lever is my best bet.

If anyone here wants to give me a hand I need the diameter at the base just over the aluminum fork of the transmission, the diameter at the base just under the plastic pommel, and the length between those points.

Measures in thousands of an inch from digital calipers are ok.

TIA

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Previous owners are invariably... idiots. This is an attempt to shorten the throw but it's harder to shift and you have to lean forward reach down for it.

It's not that critical. Any length or thickness that's comfortable to use is fine. You should be able to shift sitting with shoulders back against the seat without leaning forward. You can also put a small bend in it. Thread the end for any knob that is handy.

DSC08279small.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmmmm if a different market truck ie Costa Rica, what trans is in it?  Do you still have your 620 pick up that is listed in your signature to the left of your page?  If so, pull rubber boots up on both, compare lower part of shift lever........hopefully the same?  If not, post a pic of the 521 lower shift lever, in or out of the truck......either way is good!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Yeah, but he needs the measurements of the section that goes through the bushings. Might be easier to weld some rod back on to the top. 

What bushings?

If the old one was shortened he'll have that. All you need do is trim the threads off for the knob (presumably it has this) and have a length of similar size round steel welded on to whatever length he likes and thread that end.

5 hours ago, MiltonV said:

I just got a '71 and need the gear shift lever, previous owner chopped it and now is barely 7 inches from the floor.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, yenpit said:

Hmmmmmm if a different market truck ie Costa Rica, what trans is in it?  Do you still have your 620 pick up that is listed in your signature to the left of your page?  If so, pull rubber boots up on both, compare lower part of shift lever........hopefully the same?  If not, post a pic of the 521 lower shift lever, in or out of the truck......either way is good!

Nope, I sold the 620 and got the 521, needs a lot more of work but I like more the look of the 520's and they are much more rare here, but 620's are common 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, MiltonV said:

Not there, the one I need is the lever, the part that crosses part #3

Part 3 is the rubber dust boot. You mean the shift lever with the knob on top????? poking through 3????

Post a picture pointing to it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Part 3 is the rubber dust boot. You mean the shift lever with the knob on top????? poking through 3????

Post a picture pointing to it.

Yes,the shift lever, that's the part or measure I need, the length from the base all the way to the base of the knob

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, MiltonV said:

2PcmDGV.jpg

That looks in there backwards.... 

Watch out for that cross pin it has a really small roll pin that keeps it in place....

I'm not sure how the previous owner removed it to flip that around .....

Also I may have that shifter if you cant find one or solve your issue.....

I converted to a 5spd so I have the one that goes with my 4spd and a spare.... 

If no one else steps up I'll see if I can get it after work and I'll post a pic...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

That looks in there backwards.... 

Watch out for that cross pin it has a really small roll pin that keeps it in place....

I'm not sure how the previous owner removed it to flip that around .....

Also I may have that shifter if you cant find one or solve your issue.....

I converted to a 5spd so I have the one that goes with my 4spd and a spare.... 

If no one else steps up I'll see if I can get it after work and I'll post a pic...

Fantastic, mine is 4 speed

• Like 1

This is what the shift lever is supposed to look like and how long it is.

002.jpg

Yours appears to have been modified, personally I would remove yours and find another shift lever off something local and weld what you want together between the 2 levers, perhaps sleeve over the weld to make it stronger, it will likely be expensive to ship a lever to you.

• Like 2