82 210 Wagon Won't Start & Backfiring in Manifold

Wahinkpe69

Hey, guys.

So, my 210 was flooding out and didn't want to start. So, I took the carb off and found that when the kid that had it rebuilt the carb, he didn't adjust the float and float plate to spec. So, I adjusted everything per the service manual specs. Then, reinstalled everything. Well, the fuel level reads normal in the window on the carb but, it won't start and it is detonating in the manifold like a shotgun blast.I re-checked the vacuum lines and all of those were put back correctly. Distributer was reset at tdc. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Wahinkpe69 said:

Hey, guys.

So, my 210 was flooding out and didn't want to start. So, I took the carb off and found that when the kid that had it rebuilt the carb, he didn't adjust the float and float plate to spec. So, I adjusted everything per the service manual specs. Then, reinstalled everything. Well, the fuel level reads normal in the window on the carb but, it won't start and it is detonating in the manifold like a shotgun blast.I re-checked the vacuum lines and all of those were put back correctly. Distributer was reset at tdc. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? Thanks

Distributor was reset to TDC??? why?? and was this before or after it wouldn't start.

Has it ever run properly for you?

If yes, then just flooded probably needs the plugs out and dried.

If no, then could be anything.

No this car never ran correctly. My roomate screwed with the distributor so  I had to reset it to tdc at the 1st plug. It is electronic no points. It is not flooded. I had to adjust the carb because it was flooding. Wires are in order. Plugs are good. Plug wires are good. Has spark. Has full tank of gas. Vacuum is hooked up correctly. I have trouble shooted everything you normally check. I'm puzzled 

8 hours ago, Wahinkpe69 said:

No this car never ran correctly. My roomate screwed with the distributor so  I had to reset it to tdc at the 1st plug. It is electronic no points. It is not flooded. I had to adjust the carb because it was flooding. Wires are in order. Plugs are good. Plug wires are good. Has spark. Has full tank of gas. Vacuum is hooked up correctly. I have trouble shooted everything you normally check. I'm puzzled 

Firing order is 1342 in a counter clockwise direction. Most often 2 and 3 are reversed because of the direction used.

There is a compression TDC and an exhaust TDC. You need the compression on #1 cylinder TDC or you'll be 180 out on the firing, the valves open and it will backfire out through the carburetor.

EI (electronic ignition) has a higher potential output than a points set up and will easily take advantage of weak insulation on wires, cap or rotor. They must be in very good condition that the spark cannot jump to another wire. Something than visually cannot always be relied upon.

Last, the valve clearance. Too tight and an intake will not close properly and the firing cylinder can escape back through it and into the intake. I don't know what the propper clearance is but ANY clearance will prevent this. A bent or burned valve will do the same but not easily fixed.

Likely distributor was installed incorrectly. Pop off valve cover, pull #1 spark plug, rotate engine to tdc on #1 after the #1 intake valve opens and closes. Pull off distributor cap. If metal part of rotor isn't pointing somewhat near #1 terminal of distributor cap, remove and reinstall distributor so that it is, then put everything back together and keep distributor bolt slightly loose so you can adjust it back and forth until it fires up while someone else attempts to start it.

So, I had set the timing at tdc but it was on the exhaust stroke. Once I spun it 180° it fired right up. I also welded up a custom exhaust system to replace the blown out muffler(caused by a backfire) and am in the process of rigging up a manual choke to replace the garbage electrostatic choke that is no good. Should run great(in theory) after this. Will post photos of the exhaust when I weld up the baffle. It's a little too loud with the glasspack cherrybomb and no dampering.

• Like 1