Transmission cover seal

BLUESTEAL

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

1971, 510 SW 1.6L -  4 speed trans.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           How much play is allowed on the input shaft? I'm doing a clutch replacement & thinking of replacing the front & rear seals on the transmission.

But my main problem is in the clutch fork lever; the section that makes contact with the pivot ball is all pretty torn up. A couple of good cracks in there.

I've been looking on line but no luck. Forget the dealership! Does anyone know of a place who still sells them? I thought of bringing it to a welder.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Henry

1 hour ago, henry said:

1971, 510 SW 1.6L -  4 speed trans.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           How much play is allowed on the input shaft? I'm doing a clutch replacement & thinking of replacing the front & rear seals on the transmission.

But my main problem is in the clutch fork lever; the section that makes contact with the pivot ball is all pretty torn up. A couple of good cracks in there.

I've been looking on line but no luck. Forget the dealership! Does anyone know of a place who still sells them? I thought of bringing it to a welder.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Henry

See response above

The input shaft will wobble slightly when transmission is out. The front is well supported by the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. They are $5 so replace it, why not while it's out?? Do not lube them they are pre lubed with oil.

No one is going to make the clutch arm or the pivot ball, there is no market for them. Get a good used one and be sure to lube the two ends of the push rod on the clutch slave, the pibot ball, the clutch arm contact points on the release collar and fill the hollow cavity inside the collar with grease. 

On 1/27/2020 at 6:09 AM, datzenmike said:

To be clear this is the front cover plate over the input shaft? I just pried it out with a screwdriver and carefully tapped a new one in. Be sure to grease it so it doesn't start up dry.

Thanks for the information folks,

Is there a gasket available for that front cover once it's removed?  Can i use a gasket maker?

Also i found the number 9H740 stamped on the transmission. Any idea what it means? Should there be more numbers somewhere else?

Thanks again,

Henry

No gaskets, just use a quality rtv. Honda bond or similar oem. The right stuff is another common one. If you are referring to the front cover that holds the front seal, I don’t know if any sealant is needed. 

On 8/4/2020 at 9:54 AM, datzenmike said:

The input shaft will wobble slightly when transmission is out. The front is well supported by the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. They are $5 so replace it, why not while it's out?? Do not lube them they are pre lubed with oil.

No one is going to make the clutch arm or the pivot ball, there is no market for them. Get a good used one and be sure to lube the two ends of the push rod on the clutch slave, the pibot ball, the clutch arm contact points on the release collar and fill the hollow cavity inside the collar with grease. 

Is there a simple way to separate the throw-out bearing from from it's sleeve & then putting it back together again.

I would like not to have to bring it to a shop.

Thank you,

Henry

2 hours ago, henry said:

Is there a simple way to separate the throw-out bearing from from it's sleeve & then putting it back together again.

I would like not to have to bring it to a shop.

Thank you,

Henry

probably going to need access to a press. Or at least a bearing puller.