Wheel fitment 17x8

521dude

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this Mike, the vendors on ebay claim the the Belltech 2005 drop spindles are for 1983-1997 Nissan 720/1986-94 D21/1995-97 pickups, 1986 on do not have to use the spacers as far as I know.

The V6 D21 2wd dual piston calipers were used on a lot of Nissan trucks including the 93 Pathfinder as that is what the parts store sold to me, and the 1990 V6 D21 2wd is the one that one can unbolt the ball joints, tie rods, and brake line and bolt it right into any early Datsun ball joint truck and one has an instant upgrade.

15 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

I wasn't trying to say the '97 stuff wouldn't work....just that I don't know.  Sounds like you've got a good handle on it.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, 521dude said:

Screenshot-20200119-132001.pngHere's a photo from the guy I bought it from, how it sat when I purchased her. Thank you wayno for the advice on the image hosting.

Post more pics, get a side shot and front shot of wheels straight. Where are you in California. And if your track is 3" wider as someone said then that's fucking you already. Post more pics its easier to understand with a visual.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, wayno said:

I would have guessed the truck was a 1969 or early 70 as that box has reflectors, my 71 has clearance lights, my 69 had the reflectors yours has.

@mrbigtankerWhen I get more photos I will. It looks nothing like this anymore. It's flat black with little 14s on it. @waynoIt's a complete Frankenstein truck, so I'm sure there's a little of everything. Has an l18 and a 5spd currently as well. Title is a 71 however. There's pieces from about a thousand different trucks. I'll try to get some measurements and photos soon.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Post more pics, get a side shot and front shot of wheels straight. Where are you in California. And if your track is 3" wider as someone said then that's fucking you already. Post more pics its easier to understand with a visual.

Also I'm in the 209 area. Amador county. About an hour from Sacramento.

• Like 1

Sorry it took so long guys. I've been kind of busy. Here's a few photos of her. Alignment is fucked because I have not put any new bushings or ball joints in her yet. They are all in boxes at my house. Squirrels made a nest on her battery. It's an L18 with a 5 speed. I haven't got any WMS to WMS measurements because I haven't even pulled the wheels off her yet and the hub swap will change that measurement slightly if I'm not mistaken. You can see a few shots of the 620 control arms and some other whacky shit. I'm not sure what's up with the engine mounts either. But here's the truck as it sits now. @mrbigtankerJkSnvpR.jpgH3f2XZN.jpgIMG-20200126-114641034-HDR.jpgIMG-20200126-114657705.jpgxpjkq7B.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, wayno said:

I know this Mike, the vendors on ebay claim the the Belltech 2005 drop spindles are for 1983-1997 Nissan 720/1986-94 D21/1995-97 pickups, 1986 on do not have to use the spacers as far as I know.

The V6 D21 2wd dual piston calipers were used on a lot of Nissan trucks including the 93 Pathfinder as that is what the parts store sold to me, and the 1990 V6 D21 2wd is the one that one can unbolt the ball joints, tie rods, and brake line and bolt it right into any early Datsun ball joint truck and one has an instant upgrade.

I'm not sure I understand this whole post, but fingers crossed all my shit bolts up or I'll be a really sad camper. Lol

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

So not sure what is going on there ? Was the plan to go 4x4 ?  Just looking at the engine mounts made me puke in my mouth. Sorry. Wheel fitment looks ok from these angles,.

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with the mounts. No need to apologise to me, I bought the truck that way, sir. Made me vomit a little myself. Lol. Thank you for the reply though. She's going to be a candidate for an engine swap eventually once she's a solid roller with decent brakes. I figure all that's such a catastrophic mess as it is I can't possibly fuck it up any worse. @mrbigtanker

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh but it can be worse, far far worse, some of the stuff I have seen on Ratsun including those posting to this thread have made me shake my head, I have thought just buy the proper part instead of changing things to make everything work with the wrong part, and I don't care if the jury rigging is made of new supposedly better parts, it's still jury rigging.

I have done my share of making custom parts, like putting ball joints on a kingpin truck, or putting power steering on a vehicle that never had it, but normally if I think something will hold like your motor mounts and not cause an issue I won't say anything, your motor mounts are put on exactly the way Nissan did it to put the SD series diesel engines in the 720, they extended them forward, they did have a small leg on the front of the extension, but they used far thinner metal also, the diesel engine is far heavier than an L or Z block, it needed all the support it could get.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, wayno said:

Oh but it can be worse, far far worse, some of the stuff I have seen on Ratsun including those posting to this thread have made me shake my head, I have thought just buy the proper part instead of changing things to make everything work with the wrong part, and I don't care if the jury rigging is made of new supposedly better parts, it's still jury rigging.

I have done my share of making custom parts, like putting ball joints on a kingpin truck, or putting power steering on a vehicle that never had it, but normally if I think something will hold like your motor mounts and not cause an issue I won't say anything, your motor mounts are put on exactly the way Nissan did it to put the SD series diesel engines in the 720, they extended them forward, they did have a small leg on the front of the extension, but they used far thinner metal also, the diesel engine is far heavier than an L or Z block, it needed all the support it could get.

@waynoYour knowledge is priceless, sir. I really, truly appreciate all the input. I wasn't trying to rig anything myself, I just might have ended up with one of those trucks you shook your head at lol. Now I'm trying to make more sense of some of it. I started by trying to make it safer with brakes that don't leak and are larger that supposedly bolt up to what's there. I'm extremely thankful you've all been so helpful and I'm not trying start a war between any members on here lol I don't want to piss anybody off. From what I could understand, the parts I bought are right.(seriously, knocking on some fucking wood) I won't know if they bolt right up until I try it but I'm fairly certain they do based upon other threads I have seen. The truck will never be perfect because it's been so chopped and screwed and stepped on before I got it. I just wanted to attempt to get some more life breathed into her.

• Like 1

I am not saying you jury rigged anything, I was talking about other people not you.

When one lowers a truck, even a 720 with ball joints it does that to the alignment, the wheels start pointing outward, drop spindles do that also, which means they will need to be cut/shortened as they are too long when the front is that low, just remember that once they have been cut you cannot un-cut them.

35 minutes ago, 521dude said:

@waynoYour knowledge is priceless, sir. I really, truly appreciate all the input. I wasn't trying to rig anything myself, I just might have ended up with one of those trucks you shook your head at lol. Now I'm trying to make more sense of some of it. I started by trying to make it safer with brakes that don't leak and are larger that supposedly bolt up to what's there. I'm extremely thankful you've all been so helpful and I'm not trying start a war between any members on here lol I don't want to piss anybody off. From what I could understand, the parts I bought are right.(seriously, knocking on some fucking wood) I won't know if they bolt right up until I try it but I'm fairly certain they do based upon other threads I have seen. The truck will never be perfect because it's been so chopped and screwed and stepped on before I got it. I just wanted to attempt to get some more life breathed into her.

I personally don't like bucket seats in a stock 521 because it moves you towards the steering wheel as I am 6' tall and I get cramped, the stock bench seat is the best seat for a 521 unless you are short, I like legroom.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, wayno said:

I am not saying you jury rigged anything, I was talking about other people not you.

When one lowers a truck, even a 720 with ball joints it does that to the alignment, the wheels start pointing outward, drop spindles do that also, which means they will need to be cut/shortened as they are too long when the front is that low, just remember that once they have been cut you cannot un-cut them.

I personally don't like bucket seats in a stock 521 because it moves you towards the steering wheel as I am 6' tall and I get cramped, the stock bench seat is the best seat for a 521 unless you are short, I like legroom.

Well im only 2" shorter then you and my Brides work perect, and imm wider thats for sure. If there is too much cushion in the bench seat then it has a sloppy feel, and if you pull some padding out then its not comfortable. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 521dude said:

Sorry it took so long guys. I've been kind of busy. Here's a few photos of her. Alignment is fucked because I have not put any new bushings or ball joints in her yet. They are all in boxes at my house. Squirrels made a nest on her battery. It's an L18 with a 5 speed. I haven't got any WMS to WMS measurements because I haven't even pulled the wheels off her yet and the hub swap will change that measurement slightly if I'm not mistaken. 

I did a short vid years ago showing the difference between the drum hubs and the disc hubs on my disc setup.  Since you already have discs, it's a moot point.  Of the 3 disc hubs....620, 720, and d21, they vary slightly, but they will not change the WMS distance.  I was going to explain the minor differences, but I found a vid I did.....  

• Like 1

oDBYSic.jpgOk, so I've been a little busy. Don't mind the mess, I just got the truck home and started checking shit out. Got a set of factory Toyota 16s from a 4runner for $40 for the set (16x7s I think). I got the old tire removed and a used tire put on one wheel to test fit and it got a bead seal leak after the install. Oh well, I'm sure it can be fixed. At the end of the day though, I'd like to say the wheels seem like they are going to fit fantastic. Tires are 235/55/r16. They look decent on the truck. The paint looks bad (on the truck and the wheels) but it sure looks like the wheels are going to work. Not the original size I was looking for but for $40 for the set it was worth a shot. Yes I'll get new lugnuts before it ever gets to the road. It's just to roll it around my yard for now. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1