1968 520

R4wb33

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayhaps someone had it apart and forgot the washer. The starter, when engaged, slides the pinion gear out quite forcefully and perhaps snapped that clip.

Is there wear where the pinion might hit the starter case when all the way out turning the engine? Says pinion stopper... maybe to prevent it from hitting the case?

• Like 1

That washer on the armature shaft should have a counterbore and ID groove to snap over the spring clip in the shaft groove. What you have there may work but won't let the starter drive gear advance enough for a full mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. The brushes, solenoid, and drive unit are all available for that starter. I went through a couple of them bout four years ago.

• Like 1

Dug up a pic of the drive end of the starter. I believe that this is how it should be assembled. The counterbore-ID groove side of the washer goes away from the gear and snaps over the spring-clip.

Kinda baffles me why the spring-ring groove is so far from the starter nose on starter in your pic. It would seem to me that the pinion gear wouldn't be able to extend enough to mesh properly with the ring gear. Also attached an exploded drawing from the parts manual. If you don't have a parts manual, here's a link to an online manual.    

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972

Starter-Exploded-View.jpg

Floor-Shift-Starter-Drive-End.jpg

• Like 1