Now she wont start

Payco

Wonder if the more common USA spec heater assembly would fit?  I'm sure the Japanese engineers would not alter the basic chassis to keep production costs down, but the RHD dash configuration might be an issue.....??  If ANY other RHD country had a similar/same heater assembly as us, then I would guess you could do it......??  But if the heater valve is the biggest hurdle, I'm sure you can find a simple current production universal fit ON-OFF cable operated in line heater valve that would work. 

Although I haven't done it yet, I have theorized a means of plumbing a USA spec 510 differently than stock, because many of the CA18 SR20 KA24 swaps mount the engine right up against the firewall, thus blocking the ability to hook up the stock heater assembly IN & OUT tubes.  I have worked on & off in the British parts industry here over the years & the Triumph TR6 had a simple hose junction at the firewall & universal heater hoses, maybe with  couple of 90deg pre-formed bend hoses for clearance etc, with an in line universal cable operated heater valve.......... 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, yenpit said:

Wonder if the more common USA spec heater assembly would fit?  I'm sure the Japanese engineers would not alter the basic chassis to keep production costs down, but the RHD dash configuration might be an issue.....??  If ANY other RHD country had a similar/same heater assembly as us, then I would guess you could do it......??  But if the heater valve is the biggest hurdle, I'm sure you can find a simple current production universal fit ON-OFF cable operated in line heater valve that would work. 

I have never really worked on a LHD 510.  The RHD heater control panel is mirror imaged from the LHD version, and the control rods come down on the right hand side, so (totally guessing here) swapping in a heater might also need the heater control panel from the same car..  The 510 Keeper would know for sure...

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I have never really worked on a LHD 510.  The RHD heater control panel is mirror imaged from the LHD version, and the control rods come down on the right hand side, so (totally guessing here) swapping in a heater might also need the heater control panel from the same car..  The 510 Keeper would know for sure...

The USA spec 70-73 heater controls above the radio, had cables that ran down the USA spec passenger side to the heater assembly............I think three cables...........

• Like 1

Triple posts!!  Wooohooo!!

Can you post a pic under dash from left side looking at the heater assembly, a pic from right side looking at assembly & a pic of the outer firewall in the engine compartment, right behind the engine........that's where the two heater pipes (in & out) come thru the firewall!  Hopefully with pics, we can help identify good bad & indifferent!

TJ

15 hours ago, yenpit said:

Triple posts!!  Wooohooo!!

Can you post a pic under dash from left side looking at the heater assembly, a pic from right side looking at assembly & a pic of the outer firewall in the engine compartment, right behind the engine........that's where the two heater pipes (in & out) come thru the firewall!  Hopefully with pics, we can help identify good bad & indifferent!

TJ

Will do at the weekend, THANKS.

Outlet on the right back side of head goes to the left heater pipe. Return pipe on right goes along the right side of engine to the front lower return rad hose. I don't think the direction matters that much like turning a sandwich upside down changes the taste.

Nissan used pre bent hoses. If you can find them for something else just trim to fit. Guy on The 510 Realm had a Gates number for a different car that used the same diameter pipes. Looked pretty trick.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Outlet on the right back side of head goes to the left heater pipe. Return pipe on right goes along the right side of engine to the front lower return rad hose. I don't think the direction matters that much like turning a sandwich upside down changes the taste.

Nissan used pre bent hoses. If you can find them for something else just trim to fit. Guy on The 510 Realm had a Gates number for a different car that used the same diameter pipes. Looked pretty trick.

Thanks Mike. Do you have a photo of the outlet at the back of the head ? when you say the front lower rad hose are you talking about plumbing it into the lower rad hose ? Found these on ebay ?. I am just after an idiots guide diagram of how to hook it up. Everything on the inside of the car looks to be there.

I4JdZQr.jpg

grlkUjG.jpg

Edited by Payco

Yes

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The outlet pipe is an elbow on the right side of the head just below the #4 spark plug or near there. I don't see why an SSS would be different.