New to the b210

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's mechanically driven through a cable connecting the transmission to the speedometer. Is the speedometer not working???? If not someone may have pulled it and the plugs out of the back of the gauge cluster when removing it or taking the dash out..

• Thanks 1

Thanks man I appreciate all the help also how much power can the stock motor make ? If I rebuild with strong internals and throw on a small turbo maybe 7-10 pounds ? Don’t want to make huge power just enough to be fun, I am building this for my little brother 

• 1 month later...

I would spend the money on an engine and transmission swap. Larger displacement = more low speed torque and fun.... a opposed to high end RPM wringing it out. But this is just me.

The '84 S12 has a solid rear axle that is H-190 and rear disc brakes. If you ever plan some engine mods this would be bullet proof. The '85 is IRS that year. Is either a turbo CA18ET? This would be worth rebuilding as they made a good 130hp. Even the CA20E would be around 100hp. This would require a transmission and all the electronics for the EFI.

As mentioned any year 280zx front struts. For lowering the ride height and monster vented rotors and huge calipers for a great brake upgrade. You may have to go to 14" rims to clear them. Be sure to grab the 15/16" master cylinder to go with it.

Don't forget the master cylinder.

I've heard that the width is close, however it has a coil spring and link suspension and you have leaf spring. That would require that you cut all that off the axle tubes and weld on perches for your leaf springs. It wouldn't stop me but....

The struts were completely rusted through 😞  but I did find that 310 and grabbed some stuff it had a an after market steering wheel so I grabbed it also some old emblems from a few late 70s corolla and other the 240z, I think the coolest thing I found was a complete rotary in a Mazda 4. tranny and all still intact 

If that 78 is a b310 (aka 210),  it might have a slightly bigger motor and if you don't have a 5-speed already, you can find one there.

If your car is a manual car and the 78 is a auto, the differential will get you a slightly faster launch at the expense of higher freeway RPM.

not an upgrade, but go ahead and grab the ignition switch since they are the same and go bad from time to time.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BennBenn300 said:

Help me out guys I have a 76 b210 sedan and was told she had all around drum breaks but I have disc in the front 

What exactly do you need explained? As Datzenmike said, all Datuns cars 68+ in USA had front disc brakes... 

What's confusing? What do you need to know? All brake parts for B210 are readily available. I know the ins and outs of the B210 very well... I spent 2 years building and modifying mine to a very fun street machine.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, BennBenn300 said:

Help me out guys I have a 76 b210 sedan and was told she had all around drum breaks but I have disc in the front 

somebody lied to you or they were ignorant as they didnt know what they were talking about 

be happy you have front disc as front drums suck 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ranman72 said:

...front drums suck 

They really don't though. The vehicles that came with front drums won't need more than that unless they are being used competitively.

Had drums on my 521. Back then I wasn't that caring of maintenance, they were always out of adjustment and pulled to one side and were a pain in the ass. My 620 had discs and in 8-10 years, IIRC, I once pulled good used pads off something else and used the shit out of them and then did a Toyota SAS. Properly set up and maintained 10" drum brakes will get you stopped every bit as good as the disc brake. The disc brake, other than pad replacement and/or rotor turning needs no real maintenance and zero adjustment. Pad replacement is super easy and fast. Disc brakes will tolerate far more overheating without fade than drums will, but this would never happen in a panic stop. To cause brake fade you would have to be carrying a load down a mountain, it just doesn't happen. Drum brakes should be checked/adjusted every 3-4 months and  replacing the shoes is labor intensive and tedious.     ,

• Like 1

Had drums on my 521. Back then I wasn't that caring of maintenance, they were always out of adjustment and pulled to one side and were a pain in the ass.

as the quote from mike said 

front drums suck

i should carry this further and say drums period suck otherwise car builders would have kept them 

MOST but not all new cars have front and rear disk because they are better 

rear drums still exist on some models but trucks and performance cars all have front and rear disk for a reason 

Edited by Ranman72