Head lights high/low

Captin840

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clips that hole the fuses get tarnished with age like an old penny. This causes resistance and when current flows through resistance it generates heat. If left this way the heat will soften and damage the clips so they don't grip the fuse properly and more heat. The fuses are soldered inside and the solder can melt and the fuse fails.

The 620 fuse box unplugs easily and there are two screws holding it to the underside of the dash. Remove the entire box and note what fuses go where and remove them. Scrub it clean, then get a suitable size container and submerge the box is a mixture of lemon juice and table salt over night. The next day rinse off, dry and replace the fuses. Get a new 15 amp fuse for the headlights. 

The fuse has probably over heated and melted inside so replace it. My '78 headlights used to turn off and I got used to reaching down and rubbing the fuse to get it to make contact. I should have fixed the problem and it got worse and worse till the clips were all eroded and wouldn't hold the fuse. I eventually got another box and replaced it.

The acid in lemon juice eats the tarnish of any copper alloy like brass. Here's mine after cleaning.

6XXHZRx.jpg

While on this subject, I recently picked up a 620 and was wondering, if you flick the signal arm forward, are the high beams supposed stay on? If so, mine are opposite, pull to be on high beam, push forward for standard beam. Really seems awkward that i'm having to reach further forward  to use the signals....I'll add that i do have a Nardi steering wheel with a momo adapter so maybe that's why it feels backwards?

Sorry for the novice question but this is my first Datsun since my 73 240 I had in high school back in 1986 LOL

Thanks

8 hours ago, Old RC Rich said:

While on this subject, I recently picked up a 620 and was wondering, if you flick the signal arm forward, are the high beams supposed stay on? If so, mine are opposite, pull to be on high beam, push forward for standard beam. Really seems awkward that i'm having to reach further forward  to use the signals....I'll add that i do have a Nardi steering wheel with a momo adapter so maybe that's why it feels backwards?

Sorry for the novice question but this is my first Datsun since my 73 240 I had in high school back in 1986 LOL

Thanks

I can't remember how my 620 was but my 710 is forward for high beams. I think the pins in the connector plugging into the headlight relay could be poked out and re arranged to change it. On the earlier 620 the relay is on the rad support and later are on the passenger side inner fender.

If serious about swapping the high beams to the forward position, find the headlight relay. I think between the rad and the right hand set of headlights. With just the headlights on flick hi and low and listen for the click of the relay. Once found, swap the Red/White strip wire with the Red/Black stripe. 

36 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If serious about swapping the high beams to the forward position, find the headlight relay. I think between the rad and the right hand set of headlights. With just the headlights on flick hi and low and listen for the click of the relay. Once found, swap the Red/White strip wire with the Red/Black stripe. 

Thanks it hasn't been a huge issue, just more curious and plan to try and fix it.