My new sd22 twin cab air tub from Kiki pump to air filter

jreddy

Hi guys just bought a 1982 datsun 720 ,looks good , I will post pic when I figure out how to .While driving it home I just taught it was very dead ,I knew they were slow , but while going up a long slow incline speed just faded away ,I discovered the air pipe from pump to air filter off ,thinking it was lacking in air ,haven't taking it on any spins since ,what you guys think ,thanks in advance. 

Edited by jreddy
  • Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome

You have to host your photos somewhere like Postimage or the like and use the code for forums to post photos.

The SD22 is only a 61hp engine, they just don't like going over 60mph and when you come to a hill be ready to down shift, being you have a double cab it's just that much more weight to move around, I used to have a few 720s with SD22 engines, but they were not for me so I upgraded to the SD25 engines, then a few years ago I turbocharged them, will never daily drive a truck with one of these diesel engines again without a turbo, the difference was night and day.

Here is a link to my thread on the Nissan Diesel Forums, it goes thru all my successes and stuff I did wrong.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=24580&sid=bc50ed37b99e5a3eb91146f737727ddf#p24580

I helped my friend turbocharge his SD22 engine, I was not impressed with the result, maybe something else was wrong but he lives a ways away from me and I was not able to work on it and figure out what may have been wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for prompt reply Wayno ,yea engine is pretty unimpressive, but I was expecting it to hold some form of speed up hill ,don't get me wrong I still love it as being from Ireland it's really different and there are not a lot of vintage utes here ,so looking forward to showing it off at a few shows ,sorry what code do I need after setting up a photo sharing URL ?.I tried to paste the link but it wouldn't work, thanks guys  

• Like 1

I would use a site like postimages.org

And when you go to copy the picture url use the second one they list. Click insert image at the bottom of the reply and paste that link and you can post it from there

• Like 1

Thanks SLO720  tried that still no joy ,will have anothergo in the morning ,it allows me copy link and when I hit the post llink it just does nothing,strange will try tomorrow it's 4. 19 am here I'm off  to the ( leaba)bed in Irish. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayno didn't know they were rare ,no it doesn't have power steering, I nearly knocked over a wall last week when I was out for a spin ,the cab is in very original condition and in very good condition except for drivers seat witch is torn ,I'm very happy with it. The tub has aluminium sheeting rivited  on to it and I was going to remove and see what the bed was like  .it originally looked like  the picture but I removed the top .I'm new to all this but I'm reading everything on the Web . That picture was taken at the top of keeper hill Newport County tipperary Ireland ,see what Google throws up.20200103-115749.jpg

• Like 1

What gearing do you have in that truck, you might have a tag somewhere in the engine compartment that says what the axle is and the gearing, I don't know about the tags in other countries and it is also RHD, that might be a US thing.

Does your engine sound like it is revving fairly high on the freeway?

• Like 1

This truck of yours appears to be some kind of unicorn, I have never heard of anyone that had the 5.1 rear axle gears before, but I have never asked anyone in Australia, I heard they existed and assumed they were installed in the late 50s/early 60s Datsun trucks like 220 thru 223 series, I personally have only seen 4.8 gears in this country.

I would not imagine you are going anywhere very fast, 1st gear would be just about worthless except for possibly pulling stumps out of the ground, do you start out in 2nd gear?

These SD series diesel engines don't really like to rev that high, in any gear except 5th above 2500rpms starts to sound over revved, in the past I have had my SD25 in excess of 3500rpms in 5th gear going down the freeway with 3.5 gears in the rear, that was close to 90mph and I was almost floored(before the turbo), but now I mostly keep it under 80mph and with 3.3 gears in the rear and my rpms are right around 3000rpms, does your dash have a tachometer?

I have SD25 engines in both my turbocharged diesel trucks, but I helped a friend turbocharge his SD22 engine, I was not impressed with the result, but it was only here the one day and it was not here long enough to figure out why it didn't have the power I thought it would have.

Can you post a photo of your engine compartment and a side view shot of the injection pump, does your throttle cable go to the injection pump?

I searched that mountain(keeper hill) and watched a couple people walking to the top when it was snow covered, but it appears to have a road to the top.

• Like 1

Hi Wayno thanks for all the information, no unfortunately I dont have a tachometer ,I have paper work that suggests the previous owner was going to get one but ,maybe it was too expensive. I would like to fit tacho and voltmeter .The throttle cable goes over to under the airfilter housing to a kind of diaphragm.  I'm missing I of the fuel filters I believe there are 2 .20200127-203624.jpg20200127-202832.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, so nice!  Check out the rear bumper detail around where the OEM tail lens wraps around the side.........never seen that before!  And that massive front bumper "bull bar" might come in handy on the country roads in Ireland (been twice, again in 2020!), with all the farm animals!

TJ

• Like 1

So it appears you have an inline injection pump like we got over here in the USA, some countries got the VE type injection pump.

Your throttle cable goes to what I call a throttle body(carb looking thing), what this throttle body has in it is a small venturi on one side with a butterfly valve surrounding the venturi, when you are not touching the throttle while it is running that venturi makes a lot of vacuum which pulls against the diaphragm/spring, this pulls it back to the idle position, when you give it pedal and the butter fly opens the venturi loses vacuum and the spring pushing on the diaphragm moves the injection pump to a richer position so you now have air and fuel to make it go, when you let off the pedal it creates a lot of vacuum and the injection pump is pulled by the vacuum to the lean idle position again, this is how it works, the diaphragm is in between the 2 rubber hoses going to the injection pump.

They did make a tachometer for these diesel engines but I have never seen one nor have I ever known of anyone that had a stock one, I have an aftermarket tachometer that works by gluing 2 magnets on the front pulley and mounting a sensor, I thought maybe you were lucky enough to have one, they mount on the front cover, one of the gears inside the cover must have a magnet on it/in it for it to work.

You cannot use a nice gas filter as a pre-filter, the diesel fuel will not go thru it properly, I use a screen pre-filter on my 521 diesel truck because I have no room for a nice pre-filter, this is the screen I use in my 521 diesel.

003.jpg

This is the nice pre-filter I have in my 720 diesel truck.

004.jpg

It's strange to see how RHD trucks are arranged under the hood, I have seen the fuel filter there before on boat diesel engines. 

• Like 1