720 blower motor boxes and blower motor resistor

SLO720

Hello all, I was wondering if the early 3 plug resistor could be wired to work in place of the 5 wire resistor found in the later model trucks. Any help would be great. Thanks again! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is an update on what I've found looking through the service manuals. Somewhere in January of 1984 the resistor was updated to give blower 4 speeds (from what I can tell). The newer resistor is a 5 pin unit that only uses four pins. In switching to the earlier 3 pin unit you will loose 2 speeds and only have the high and low input. The way I have it wired I run the medium setting as "1" and the high setting at "3". Blue/Black goes to the center of the three pin relay. (With writing faced where its readable) I used blue/red as the top left, and solid blue as the top right. You could also in theory, take the later resistor and maneuver it into the earlier box, holding it in place with one screw.20200111-124201.jpg20200111-124557.jpg

• Like 2