Electric Power Brake Booster?

620slodat

I just recently learned there were  electric power brake boosters for motors with low/no vacuum available. I have a diesel Chevy pickup, and am very slowly building a diesel Datsun 620 pickup, which has no vacuum for a brake booster. I'm using the internet to learn more about them, but I also need your first hand experiences. I want to learn as much as possible, so let me know your experience with an electric brake system. Availability, reliability, and cost are important to me. I don't know that I will go this way, but I can't make a truly informed decision if I don't know all about them.

Mods, this might get a better response in the brakes section, but I thought I would try this first. If you feel that a better response would be given there it's O.K. to move this. Just let me know.

Don

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching this.... out of interest... 

I believe the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas with the TRD Offroad Package use a electric booster/ABS unit. I also think they are very expensive to replace...

Someone had a post on here somewhere about an electric vacuum pump used to power the stock vacuum booster.  

5 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Watching this.... out of interest... 

I believe the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas with the TRD Offroad Package use a electric booster/ABS unit. I also think they are very expensive to replace...

Someone had a post on here somewhere about an electric vacuum pump used to power the stock vacuum booster.  

I think it was datsunmike in his 610 build thread.....  he converted to r1 carbs and needed a vacuum sorce.....

Personally I think the diesel alternator driven vacuum pump is the best choice for the Nissan diesel engine, I personally have never seen or heard of one failing, and it hardly takes up any room, and it's right where it needs to be on US left hand drive vehicles, I am not a huge fan of re-inventing the wheel in this situation.

I have heard of others that have bought a belt driven vacuum pump for one reason or another that I cannot recall right now.

Do you need a diesel alternator 620slodat?

Wayno, I've got a diesel alternator (that came with the SD-22), although I haven't had it checked to see if it is any good. I can use it and it's built in vacuum pump initially, but my future plans call for adding items, which may go beyond the 60 amp capacity that it is supposed to have. I may need to go to a higher amp alternator, and alternators with a vacuum pump are usually very expensive. I'm just looking to the future at the moment. If I can afford it I may need to add a bit of amp capacity, and I'm trying to stay away from anything that needs a v-belt to drive it. My Chevy pickup has a power brake booster run by the power steering pump, and I like the system that Chevy has, but to put a similar system on the SD-22 would require adding a power steering pump.. The SD-22 doesn't have any power steering pump on it, and I plan to go to electric power steering.

I do have an alternator from a 2000 Nissan Altima, but I don't know the condition of it or the amp capacity yet. IF, it is a good alternator, and has enough amp capacity, I will need a vacuum source to replace the SD-22 vacuum pump that is on the stock alternator. I also have found online a diesel alternator for an NPR diesel truck. It is 110 amp capacity, with a vacuum pump, for just over $100. It appears to be a direct fit for the SD-22 alternator, needing only an upgrade to a newer electrical plug from a newer Nissan. The only downside is the 12V positive lead comes out aiming directly into the block. But, is it Chinese?

Would the Altima alternator be a good choice, with the addition of an electric vacuum pump? How good and reliable are electric vacuum pumps? How much would a good electric vacuum pump cost? That is why I need more information to be able to make an informed decision.

Don

On 1/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, Crashtd420 said:

I think it was datsunmike in his 610 build thread.....  he converted to r1 carbs and needed a vacuum sorce.....

Yeah on my 710.

Here's the problem, the vacuum pump runs all the time and does not shut off when max vacuum is reached. I had assumed it's regulated but it's not and in no time it gets HOT!!!!!! Someone suggested connecting to the brake lights and this works very well. If your system is working properly the master vac, or brake booster has a one way valve in line and there is enough stored vacuum for at least one good stab of the brakes. Once the brakes are on it's replenished very quickly, almost instantly. Once the vacuum is higher than that in the booster, the one way valve opens and the booster vacuum goes up. I'm still searching for a simple vacuum switch that turns off at 26? in Hg. Nothing yet. 

In operation when you start your car you almost always step on the brake so vacuum is topped up, not that it needs it. It is on when stopped on hills and you can hear it. Be nice to connect to a 5 second timer activated by the brake lights. The one I have is for a GM (made in Mexico) but yesterday I saw one on our Dodge Ram Classic V6. Probably cheaper from a wrecking yard. Mine was from Amazon and about $150 CDN. 

• Like 1

Hooking an electric pump to the brake lights, through a relay, is something I never though about. Doing some thinking about it, and it sounds good so far since I have yet to think of any situation when you would run out of vacuum. It would also keep from having to wire in some kind of vacuum control system.

I have found a couple different systems that have a built in vacuum pressure switch. Both are very good looking systems, and hook up to just 12V positive and negative and switched power, but are in the $350 and UP class so are out of my financial area. If anybody isn't concerned about cost they would take more scrutinizing to make sure they are reliable.

If anybody else has experience with any kind of electric vacuum pump please chime in and let me know your experience.

Don 

DM, I'm willing to hear your reasons for this. Doesn't mean I agree or disagree with you. I just want to hear your reasons so I can evaluate them, along with all the rest of the information I have been given or found.

Don

Well these pumps don't need to run continuously and feed back from Amazon buyers say they can wear out an a month or two. This is probably from running continuously. I bet the GM ones (like the one I have) are turned on and off by the truck's electronics. It only needs to replenish vacuum used by braking. I agree that the more you learn about something the wiser the choice later. 

Chevy Camaro Rally Sport with the sliding headlight covers had a vacuum pump under the hood to operate the slides.  I don't know the capacity but it should be enough to operate a brake booster.  I don't remember whether it was belt or 12 volt driven but I think it was 12 volt.  Check it out.

If looking in a junk yard beware.  Many wannabes put the sliding cover front  on ordinary Camaros and sold the result to unwary buyers at a premium.  Look under the hood !

Will do MikeRL411. Thank you for the heads up!! So far I have used several junk yard parts in my build, all Nissan so far.

Do you by chance know the approximate year? I know there were Rally Sports in the earlier years. I had a 1969 Camaro, but it was not the Rally Sport so I'm not familiar with them. 

Don

I had a '69 Charger and intake vacuum was used to work the hide away headlights. There was a 48 oz. fruit juice can under the hood for storing vacuum. This was so that if you shut the engine off and then wanted to close the grill over the headlights you could.

This is what I got. It's used on later GMs...

81y01TSmoWL._SL1500_.jpg

Good to know DM. Thank you!! The parts used on OEM usually seem to be better than a lot of aftermarket items. The only question I would have at the moment is how quiet it is.

Don

1 hour ago, 620slodat said:

Will do MikeRL411. Thank you for the heads up!! So far I have used several junk yard parts in my build, all Nissan so far.

Do you by chance know the approximate year? I know there were Rally Sports in the earlier years. I had a 1969 Camaro, but it was not the Rally Sport so I'm not familiar with them. 

Don

69 or 70 to my recollection.

After doing some web surfing I found a website that I found very helpful. http://www.electricsubaru.com/vacuum.html   This website gives part numbers for a Hella UP30 pump, wiring connectors, and vacuum switch.  I also found this website https://www.hella.com/microsite-electronics/en/Vacuum-pumps-43.html  for Hella vacuum pump specs. If you click on this link, then if you scroll down to just above the legal notice you will see three thumbnail pictures with captions. The center one is for the UP30/32, and clicking on it will rake you to the specs for the UP30/UP32. The Hella UP30 pump is not cheap at $260 (at Amazon), but is the best price I found for a new pump that was for sure a stand-alone vacuum pump. Through more web surfing I may come up with something I can possibly find in a wrecking yard. If so I will post the info here.

This is partly for anybody that needs this information, and also for my possible future use. I will keep all the info that everybody has also posted on this thread.

Don

Edited by 620slodat