Radio harness

JuanOch0a

I took out the harness behind the dash from my 84 nissan 720, and I really want to fix the radio wiring.

The colors go as follows:

Brown wire

Black with blue stripe

Red with blue stripe

Red with yellow stripe

Green with red stripe

Black 

Black with white stripe

And 2 more brown wires (one with a white stripe) connected from the radio connector and they connect somewhere else.

I would really appreciate it if I got some help on this as it's my first time working on something so old

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only 8 wires on the radio plug.

Brown wire........................................ Power from the #7 fuse, also powers the cigar lighter.

Black with blue stripe....................... Goes to ground also grounds the cigar lighter.

Red with blue stripe.......................... Goes to lighting and...

Red with yellow stripe...................... Goes to lighting... You could just ground one of these and get power off the Brown. Light would be on all the time. So what?

Light Green with red stripe............... Left speaker

Light Green........................................ Left speaker

Light Green/Black............................. Right speaker

Light Green/White............................. Right speaker

• Like 2

Unless the schematic is wrong  I posted in a previous post, the wiring harness has 9 wires. This is at the Harness that connects to the Radio.

It needs to be determined of the 2 Brown wires which one is ACC 12 volts (with ignition on) once this is done, the wires are as followed.

Brown (as determined above)                     ACC 12 volts

Black with Blue Stripe                                   Body Ground

Red with Blue Stripe                                      Radio Light that increases and decreases with Illumination Control Unit - Variable side

Red with Yellow Stripe                                  Radio Light constant 12 volts on Illumination Control Unit

Green with Red Stripe                                   Constant 12 volts that comes from fuse #8

Black                                                                Speaker (positive side) Right Hand side (Passenger)

Black with White Stripe                                Speaker (negative side) Right Hand side (Passenger)

Brown with White Stripe                               Speaker (negative side) Left Hand side (Driver)

Brown (as determined above)                     Speaker (positive side) Left Hand side (Driver)

The schematic is for a 1985 720,

5nXz2NO.jpg

• Like 1

I listed the '84 NIssan FSM (factory service manual) circuit, but will check again tonight. IT, has an extra power wire, probably it's on all the time to maintain presets or clock on the radio??? The '84 doesn't have this.

• Like 1

The color wires matched what he described at the harness to the radio, yes the schematic is a year newer model and changes can be made i cant see as i don't have a schematic for the 1984 model. I wouldn't think the constant 12 volts on the 1985 is necessary for an analog AM/FM cassette model, but its listed on the schematic. 

YJsR0Y8.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hello I’ve been having major trouble as well with my 85 King Cab I do also have the same wires but only saw the thread eariler with a few different colors and have been totally confused this is a great help! I’ve been about to tear my hair out! I am new here but love my 85 720 and have been looimg it trying to get this radio going! I had absolutely NO WIRE HARNESS WHAT SO EVER! They were all cut! So I am seeing that You would hook the the red and blue (dimmer) to illuminated But I don’t have a illuminated orange wire so would You then hook it up to accessories (Red) on my old School Sony xplod wire harness and then the Red & Yellow to the ( yellow constant) wire along with thr brown wire and also the Green and red Wire???? Then. Ground the rest except for black & white wire (%Positive speaker) and You said something about light green &:also a green and black I assume would be the other speaker and then finally the black& Blue strip would be the ground for the Black & White speaker ?. I am not sure if I fried the dimmer or not but it still doesn’t seeM to work now but it did when I first started can anyone help with my dimmer dash light?. Thanks for your time and listening if anybody’s out there and I do read this I know this whole last post was several many many years ago so I’m not sure somebody will see this but I could really use somebody to help thank you, 85 720 King Cab lover!

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, datzenmike said:

Only 8 wires on the radio plug.

Brown wire........................................ Power from the #7 fuse, also powers the cigar lighter.

Black with blue stripe....................... Goes to ground also grounds the cigar lighter.

Red with blue stripe.......................... Goes to lighting and...

Red with yellow stripe...................... Goes to lighting... You could just ground one of these and get power off the Brown. Light would be on all the time. So what?

Light Green with red stripe............... Left speaker

Light Green........................................ Left speaker

Light Green/Black............................. Right speaker

Light Green/White............................. Right speaker

funny Mike,cigar lighter...