New 521 owner Ontario Canada

pidge

Hey Ratsun people. I just acquired a 69’ 521 for no other reason than I’ve always loved the look of old Datsun trucks. I now own one. Can’t say I’ve driven something this old before. ‘‘Twas a little sketchy stoping. Gotta look into the drum adjustment how to. Hopefully that’s not a big issues. Truck tracks straight and is slow as anything, but I love it. A few things don’t work right off the hop so I gotta get a meter out and poke around. Looks like it has a leaky valve cover gasket so it’s got a big ol shit stain all over the block, a few oddball wires with butt connectors that don’t appear to ever be tied into anything, but who knows. First things first gotta get the fluids swapped out. Would Nissan have the spec on the tranny and rear diff fluid still, anyone know? I remember rsomething about “brass safe@ fluid for the tranny. Anywho look forward to being around on here. I’ll try and post pics. Thanks Pidge. 

9OohBBa.jpg

1XzQePO.jpg

UgCf3mW.jpg

p7Jidvr.jpg

dlBLLTi.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just under 2 liters of GL-4 80W90 for the transmission. The rest can go into the steering box.

1 liter 90w GL-5 for the differential.

Engine may sound like it's revving to the sky (and with a 4.875 differential) it is, but don't worry they all do and they all do fine. They will do highway speeds. I had a 5 year old '71 for eight years in southern Ontario. It's one tough truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The drain bung on the differential and maybe on the transmission may have a magnet on them so have a look and wipe clean so you can inspect next change. A black paste with fine filings is normal. Transmission and differential oils should be changed every 50,000 Km. No one ever does. I don't recommend a synthetic oil as it will seep past old seals and the protection isn't warranted. If you plan to drive in the winter perhaps a thinner ATF would be better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you plan on doing any brake work, I'm sure you know this, but do one side at a time so you can go back and look at the side you have not taken apart when you get lost...!

One mistake I have seen a lot is getting the brake shoes in backwards (leading shoe vs trailing shoe). If installed this way, the brakes can be grabby.

One mod I might consider is installing a dual circuit master cylinder, for safety. Nothing sucks worse than losing ALL your brakes because your single circuit master popped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nissan still sells manual transmission fluid that is GL-4 (brass safe), and it's what I run in both my 2012 Xterra and my 71 521. It's expensive, but it's readily available. Finding a GL-4 rated fluid is getting harder and harder these days.

You also might want to consider a front disc-brake upgrade kit. It makes stopping in these trucks a LOT less scary.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If you plan on doing any brake work, I'm sure you know this, but do one side at a time so you can go back and look at the side you have not taken apart when you get lost...!

One mistake I have seen a lot is getting the brake shoes in backwards (leading shoe vs trailing shoe). If installed this way, the brakes can be grabby.

One mod I might consider is installing a dual circuit master cylinder, for safety. Nothing sucks worse than losing ALL your brakes because your single circuit master popped.

Thanks Stoffregen Motorsports, noted. Can’t say I’ve played with drum brakes since my high school days in auto shop. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The drain bung on the differential and maybe on the transmission may have a magnet on them so have a look and wipe clean so you can inspect next change. A black paste with fine filings is normal. Transmission and differential oils should be changed every 50,000 Km. No one ever does. I don't recommend a synthetic oil as it will seep past old seals and the protection isn't warranted. If you plan to drive in the winter perhaps a thinner ATF would be better. 

I was thinking the same thing regarding the synthetic oil Mike. I’ll for sure have a look at the bungs. Thanks again. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Nissan still sells manual transmission fluid that is GL-4 (brass safe), and it's what I run in both my 2012 Xterra and my 71 521. It's expensive, but it's readily available. Finding a GL-4 rated fluid is getting harder and harder these days.

You also might want to consider a front disc-brake upgrade kit. It makes stopping in these trucks a LOT less scary.

That would be a dream in regards to the front disc, but correct me if I’m wrong I thought the only kits available were two different ones sold and made by members on here, but are currently non existent. Are those still available?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, pidge said:

That would be a dream in regards to the front disc, but correct me if I’m wrong I thought the only kits available were two different ones sold and made by members on here, but are currently non existent. Are those still available?

Silver mine motors sells a couple disk brake kits.  I added front disks to mine and was easy upgrade. Got to watch your wheel size however. 667NBvw.jpg

Edited by Greaser2
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, pidge said:

Beebani makes the brackets that are required for the 4WD D21 front calipers, HOWEVER, you'll need at least 15" rims. Mike Klotz used to make a kit where you could run the stock 14's, but he doesn't do them anymore. 

The other option is a kit from California Datsun, but they're pricey. 

https://www.californiadatsun.com/brake-conversion-upgrade-kits/front-wilwood-brake-kit-truck-1964-77.html

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Mikeklotz. (Aka blue hands inc) was but I do believe he is in the process of shutting down....

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/

Beebani still sells them....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193274614646

Has other stuff for the trucks too....

Mikelotz was one of the fellas I was thinking of. I PM’ed him just to inquire if he might have one kit. I like the idea of keeping the stock wheels. I didn’t know Beebani made one as well or either I did and had in my head they were discontinued as well. I’ll do some research into his kit. Thanks man. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Beebani makes the brackets that are required for the 4WD D21 front calipers, HOWEVER, you'll need at least 15" rims. Mike Klotz used to make a kit where you could run the stock 14's, but he doesn't do them anymore. 

The other option is a kit from California Datsun, but they're pricey. 

https://www.californiadatsun.com/brake-conversion-upgrade-kits/front-wilwood-brake-kit-truck-1964-77.html

Looks like Beebani is the better of the two kits. (Willwood) Not really wanting to pay a huge price to get a Willwood sticker. I like the idea that Mike and Beebani use off the shelf parts. Thanks for replying. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wayno said:

I liked Mikes kits as I could run stock wheels with them, even 320 wheels but the tops of the rivets in them rims need to be shaved a little.

Thanks Wayno, just PM’ed him. Fingers crossed, but I’m sure I already know the answer.  

• Like 1