720 Bushmaster Build Thread with Videos

JNH Classics

Hey Guys, 

I just started a new project on my youtube channel that you might like, its an 84 Bushmaster which was made from a king cab pickup as a dealer option back in the day.

Heres a link to the first video. 

There is much more to come on this build.

https://youtu.be/beneU2wNQJw

• Like 2
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Subbed on here and Youtube. She looks really rough in the video, but the nice part is that you're starting with something really rare and really cool. If you need help with posting pictures on this forum, see my write-up here. Please DO NOT use photobucket. If you'd like, I have a PDF version of the service manual for the 1986 model year that I OCR'd and bookmarked, so you can use the search function within Adobe. I'm fairly certain your truck is a later model 1984, so everything should be mostly the same. 

One question I have right away, is where the fiberglass starts, and how much modification you think they (Matrix3) made to the rear of the truck in order to make this work. It doesn't seem like there is a good source of information on the details, so if you document your progress right, you could be the definitive source on the topic! 

Edited by MaxChlan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. 

I just posted part 2 where I clean it up and see what I’m dealing with. 

Here’s the link

The truck is actually in very good condition. I tried to show how the top attaches in this video, it’s definitely not removable. I will strip more of the interior to see all the modifications they did to the truck soon. I can’t find much info on the Bushmasters so I’m very curious to see what they did to make it. I will show you everything I find as I find it. 

• Like 1

From what I can see, it seems like the bed and cab are mostly the same. The roofline seems to be extended with fiberglass maybe an inch or two, with steel tubing used to reinforce for new roof and bed area. It’s no doubt that the fiberglass isn’t meant to be taken off. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Here’s part 3 of the Bushmaster Project. This was an Incredible Transformation! The Bushmaster Looks Amazing Now!

I'm still looking for an engine. I need a Z24 engine that works with a Carburetor, not Fuel Injection. Pleas let me know if you know where I can get one.

• Like 1

I would get one from a wrecking yard and put a Weber 32/36 on it. Do you have a Z24 in it right now that is broken? I have used D21 Z24s before no problem and can tell you how to do that, they are easier to find. Car-part.com is a great resource.

Great to see other people making 720 videos too! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, captain720 said:I would get one from a wrecking yard and put a Weber 32/36 on it. Do you have a Z24 in it right now that is broken? I have used D21 Z24s before no problem and can tell you how to do that, they are easier to find. Car-part.com is a great resource.

It has to be all original to pass smog. The previous owner removed the engine to have it rebuilt and lost it many years ago. It has all the original intake and smog equipment just no engine. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JNH Classics said:

It has to be all original to pass smog. The previous owner removed the engine to have it rebuilt and lost it many years ago. It has all the original intake and smog equipment just no engine. 

You can stick a D21 block in there and swap timing covers and distributors and oil pumps and distributor drive shafts and you will be all stock. Some say the compression ratio is 0.4 different but I am unable to confirm this and they all run fine on pump gas. D21 Z24 would be all stock unless they are checking vins

• Like 1
On 1/31/2020 at 8:21 AM, JNH Classics said:

I'm still looking for an engine. I need a Z24 engine that works with a Carburetor, not Fuel Injection. Pleas let me know if you know where I can get one.

Not sure where you're at in CA, but there's an 85 at the Pick n Pull in Oakland that I checked out today (2/7). It was missing the carb but everything else seemed to be there. Doubt it will stay this way for long with the weekend coming up.

ZYP1G_N8vgim3lvt9x-pz_OFQVXGKcLpqYMJ9k1c

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Awesome video! I did the exact same job on my 720, but I had auto-locking hubs, which I recall were a bit more finicky than the manual hubs, as it doesn’t come out as a nice clean assembly like yours did. I remember thinking to myself how on earth I was going to tighten the weird nut for the hub. Keep these videos coming! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...