Beginning my next project

9 hours ago, docbainey said:

Use a weber 32/36, the carb off the j13 will be to small and will need re-jetted.

Where did you end up finding a 5th gear steel syncro ring? $$$?

Typically you should replace the ring, blocks and bands as a unit as all of those parts are the 'synchronizer'.

Nice Roadster

I know a guy 😀. A friend in the next town over had a few lightly used ones for me. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A new question for you all today. 

AEA9F437-CFDF-49BE-9875-D1AA140BA4F9

E9DEABDC-284C-4F75-AE92-32BDF2DB21DC

The spring exhaust flap in the exhaust manifold. How does it work? My guess is that at low rpms the flap is in the position seen in the photo above directing hot exhaust gasses up towards the heating plate sandwiched between the exhaust and intake manifold. When the rpms go up, the exhaust gasses increase in pressure pushing the flap open allowing the gasses to flow more freely through the rest of the exhaust system. When the rpms come back down, the spring and lack of exhaust gas pressure allows the flap to close directing more heat to the heating plate. ??? Am I right?

so is the flap needed? I don’t plan on doing much cold weather driving. Heard something along the lines was what the heating plate was for. The flap looks very restrictive. Can I just do away with it or position the flap so it is always open (least amount of restriction of gasses flowing through the exhaust system and out?

thanks

• Like 1

Your kinda right. The flap is moved by the temperature of the 'spring' on the manifold. As the spring heats up, it pivots the deflector plate so the exhaust gases flow more freely. Its an aid to warm the engine up faster.

• Like 1

Works somewhat like the choke coil. That strip tightens up when cold holding the flap  open so exhaust can warm up that plate with the ridges under the carburetor so fuel droplets will vaporize. Ten or fifteen seconds is all it takes and the engine runs smoother and burns more of the fuel. Fuel in droplets won't burn it has to be vaporized. Don't forget this is a cold engine. As the exhaust heats up that metal coil it slowly unwinds and closes that flap and the exhaust by passes it.

The problem is it it's not maintained the coil can rust or erode away from the heat and it doesn't work. Worse the shaft can rust and seize in the open position and not work when you need it or worse in the closed position baking the incoming air on hot days when not needed. It can seize in any position in between and why I'm not a fan.

Yours looks good. As long as it's loose and free to move I'd just leave it. Check it when it's cold every now and then

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Works somewhat like the choke coil. That strip tightens up when cold holding the flap  open so exhaust can warm up that plate with the ridges under the carburetor so fuel droplets will vaporize. Ten or fifteen seconds is all it takes and the engine runs smoother and burns more of the fuel. Fuel in droplets won't burn it has to be vaporized. Don't forget this is a cold engine. As the exhaust heats up that metal coil it slowly unwinds and closes that flap and the exhaust by passes it.

The problem is it it's not maintained the coil can rust or erode away from the heat and it doesn't work. Worse the shaft can rust and seize in the open position and not work when you need it or worse in the closed position baking the incoming air on hot days when not needed. It can seize in any position in between and why I'm not a fan.

Yours looks good. As long as it's loose and free to move I'd just leave it. Check it when it's cold every now and then

yes. It’s in good working order. Moves freely. So it’s a bi-metallic spring. Makes sense. When cold, it’s short and closes the trap pushing air to the heat sink. When hot the spring metal expands allowing the gasses to easily open it. When the engine is off again, the metal spring will cool and shrink closing it back off again for the next start. Sounds good. 

Now is there much harm in disabling it? I’m not planning on doing a lot of cold driving. Or just leave it alone. It’s still working after 40 years. It will keep working. What do you think. 

• Like 1

I would get rid of it and find a exhaust manifold from a L16 and y pipe that clears your torsion bar. But it cheaper to keep what you have if your exhaust is still good Just a pain to work with.

it just a flap to heat the intake in winter so the carb don’t freeze.early cars had a hot water line to the intake and head had holes for the water to go into

• Like 1

Time to buy more parts and wanted to get some input first. Remember I’m fitting this L20B in my ‘68 520. I know there will be cutting and welding but was trying to stay away from cutting the firewall. So I need to get a water pump and a radiator. What do I buy? Do I go stock, ‘78 620 water pump with clutch fan (that was original to the engine). I don’t see any original style radiators on eBay, only aluminum ones. Would that combo be too deep and not fit. I heard, and it looks like it’s going to be tight. Also, the ‘68 520 face has four head lights with a space of 23 inches between where the radiator needs to go. What about an L16 water pump with a fixed fan? Will that save space? Any different options on the radiator? I’m looking forward to reading anybody’s thoughts. Thanks

Edited by mshort07
  • Like 1

Next question. According to this book. 

96791C3A-D478-435D-87C9-4905DF63C079

the L20B has these cast bracket mounted to the bottom back end of the block to bolt to the bell housing of the transmission. 

AF5F1C42-8DB4-4C7E-99CD-E54013E48298

My engine didn’t have it when I bought it. I guess the pervious owner got rid of them. 

Do I need them?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mshort07 said:

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of gussets?

I've ran several L engines without them. Even a mild LZ23. No issues at all with not running.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It’s running. Still need to add a fan and burp out the air in the cooling system. Had an issue with oil pressure in the beginning but after searching the forum noticed it was suggested to prime the oil pump with oil prior to installation. After I did that the oil pressure came right up. My rebuild manual didn’t mention that procedure. 

• Like 1
On 1/2/2020 at 4:38 PM, datzenmike said:

the FS5W63A from a first gen S10 (200sx)

I had a 1st gen 200SX and I loved the shift pattern (#4 in the pic) but had to be careful letting anyone else drive the car. This pattern feels natural to me, as you're most often in 1st (idling), 3rd (city traffic) or 5th (highway) so your arm is in a relaxed position. I'd prefer to have one in my current build.

Learning to drive a manual car

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I’m looking for some more advice from you guys. I have a nagging oil leak. Thought it was the oil pan seal. Replaced it, still leaked. I pulled the trans and flywheel and noticed oil on the surface of the rear main cap. The rear main seal was installed on an angle. So I replaced it, reassembled and it still had the oil leak. So back off with the trans. The oil wasn’t coming from the rear main seal. It looked like the leak was coming from the rear main cap seals. I pulled the pan and the cap and there was no sealant used on the mating surface of the parting line of the block. My engine builder only used sealant on the side seals. 

Now time for the advice - what type of rear main cap side seals do you guys use? My 1st seal kit had seals like this. 

AD739706-1447-4D8B-9774-0912DFFE1659

the new felpro gasket set has seals like this which are just like the ones in the Datsun repair manual. 

F0B37502-1968-4EBE-A694-0C0EC362F864

B8C2275E-A184-4A79-8157-19DEDEE7CAAE

they are smooth seals with metal shims “nails” that side in between the cap and the seal. 

any suggestions of preferred ones to use? Thanks 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mshort07 said:

they are smooth seals with metal shims “nails” that side in between the cap and the seal. 

any suggestions of preferred ones to use? Thanks 

I've used those felpro style a few times and they work just fine. Follow the FSM direction on install procedure and where to use the RTV. Don't go crazy with RTV on the rear cap though, it can and will squish under the cap changing the bearing clearance. I had this happen to me on a engine I was refreshing.

• Like 1

Darker,

I have one question about the nail install. The book says to install the nails with the bevel pointing towards the cap. I interpret the book like this

0F82DAFC-D2F9-4F1A-ADC2-60579CDF7468

But it think it makes more sense with the bevel facing the other way. Thoughts?

Also, I assume the lip flaps of the seal faces towards the cap and the nail slides in between the lips? Like below?

D67C9087-3B63-47E7-B3C1-C5F0D70CA9D8

rectangle on the left represents the nail. Shape on the right is the cost section of the seal. The rear main cap would be on the left. The engine block would be on the right. 

• Like 1

The purpose of the beveled edge is to let it slide in past the rubber. Bevel toward the rubber and bevel side pointing towards the top of the motor. I think you've done it right. If you've done it once and it's not working, I would do what Hainz suggested and just get the OEM version from Nissan. It's going to cost you a bit more, but it will be absolutely correct. If it still leaks after that, then you know it's maybe not the seal and something else.

Make sure you've got the block and cap super clean when applying the RTV. Spray it down with a de-greaser. I like brakleen (red). It's absolutely nasty stuff, bit it cleans like a mofo.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

So after searching around the forums out there I found some needed info related to this 2 piece felpro seal set as well as I interpreted the book incorrectly. 

the metal shim gets installed so the point of the shim points towards the cap. I originally thought surface of bevel pointed towards the cap but that was backwards. 

F540C4A6-28E9-43CC-8E5D-94DF7B771ECB

as for the orientation for how the rubber seal gets installed, I found a post or two that described inserting the seal so the lips point towards the block as seen above. Then the metal shim gets installed between the cap and the seal. And then there’s the additional details found in Monroe’s Datsun engine rebuild book. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Finally am ready to move onto the next step of this project. Pulled the J13 and trans out this weekend. Next I have to plan how the L20B and five speed trans is going to fit in there. I know there’s going to be some mods. 

9B2CBFD9-BD70-4885-8D11-33352BF7B324

61E21008-2BB3-41BE-B543-A23FB3981249

I do have a question about the old trans fitted to the J13 engine. It’s a 1968 Datsun 520, 4 speed transmission. What’s the name of that transmission? Does anyone sell gasket kits and seals for this transmission? Not sure why, but I want to clean this up even though I don’t plan on using it. 

BB986841-F7CD-4572-B265-391D7359CF29