Sign in to follow this  
jeffball610

Shift Knobs

I just installed my new Cube R154 short throw shifter, and now it looks out of place. (not that the original shifter looked great) I'd really like to get a wood "Datsun" shift knob, but my shifter has a different thread pitch than standard Datsun/Nissan. Mine is 12mmx1.25, so I'm kind of looking at custom options or drilling out a standard knob. I like the wood style below, but I'd LOVE it if I could get it with the lower Datsun logo. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I'd like a nice experience while driving.

On a side note, if a wood knob is not allowed by racing sanctions, then I'll have to go with another material. I know wood steering wheels are not allowed, but I don't know the rule on knobs.

DSC09990.thumb.JPG.e315d94f0e4cb268c1378

bolacouropretadatsun.jpg

Wood (real wood) wheels can splinter in an impact. I doubt that you would wear a shift knob.

I didn't find anything I was liking, but I did find a cheap delrin "Rally Art" knob on Amazon. None of the inserts fit, so I made something work with a nylon bushing and a thread tap. I definitely want something more, but it does the job and looks better than the beat up original knob.

If your existing wood knob that you like has a metal threaded insert that is smaller that your new short shifter lever thread, drill & re-tap to your new thread......

I never liked those newer nylon threaded inserts, cuz under hard use they strip out!