Shift Knobs

I just installed my new Cube R154 short throw shifter, and now it looks out of place. (not that the original shifter looked great) I'd really like to get a wood "Datsun" shift knob, but my shifter has a different thread pitch than standard Datsun/Nissan. Mine is 12mmx1.25, so I'm kind of looking at custom options or drilling out a standard knob. I like the wood style below, but I'd LOVE it if I could get it with the lower Datsun logo. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I'd like a nice experience while driving.

On a side note, if a wood knob is not allowed by racing sanctions, then I'll have to go with another material. I know wood steering wheels are not allowed, but I don't know the rule on knobs.

DSC09990.thumb.JPG.e315d94f0e4cb268c1378

bolacouropretadatsun.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't find anything I was liking, but I did find a cheap delrin "Rally Art" knob on Amazon. None of the inserts fit, so I made something work with a nylon bushing and a thread tap. I definitely want something more, but it does the job and looks better than the beat up original knob.

• 2 weeks later...

If your existing wood knob that you like has a metal threaded insert that is smaller that your new short shifter lever thread, drill & re-tap to your new thread......

I never liked those newer nylon threaded inserts, cuz under hard use they strip out!

Have you considered making your own emblem?  It's something I've seen done, and Datsunfreak recently posted this fancy how-to on the process.

If you buy a knob you really like (that fits correctly too), then you can remove the existing sticker/emblem and replace it with a custom one that is perfectly sized to fit your knob.

Also, if racing sanctions are against wood knobs, why not just buy a "racing" knob?  Pretty easy piece to swap out for track day, unless you don't street drive your car I guess.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Mods:  I realize that this is a thread about shift knobs on stick shift transmissions, and that I'm posting about a gear selector on an automatic.  If this belongs in a different place, please move it or delete it.  I'm sorry.  

My car has an automatic from a 910 wagon (WHLD910AEUCS), and I replaced the T-shaped gear selector on it with a "button on top" gear selector styled after a sword handle.  

1583896465_img_20200310_225238_mmthumb.j

Here are some images from fabricating it.  There are many others on pg 20 of this build thread 

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

• Like 1
23 hours ago, JoeyM said:

I'm highly amused by this, thanks for sharing.

23 hours ago, JoeyM said:

Mods:  I realize that this is a thread about shift knobs on stick shift transmissions, and that I'm posting about a gear selector on an automatic.  If this belongs in a different place, please move it or delete it.  I'm sorry.  

My car has an automatic from a 910 wagon (WHLD910AEUCS), and I replaced the T-shaped gear selector on it with a "button on top" gear selector styled after a sword handle.  

1583896465_img_20200310_225238_mmthumb.j

Cut new mating threads in whatever part is smaller and use the knob you like would be my vote.  If the shaft is smaller than the knob then you can have a bushing made.