Dimmer In 510?

slim_jimmy7

My Headlights don't work when the brights are on, it's been an issue that I have just put on the back burner for a long time, but recently I was browsing Datsun related forums in regards to the headlight issue and noticed mention of a dimmer switch for the dashboard.  I cannot find one in my vehicle, it's a 1972. Does my 510 have one?  And if it does, where is it?  Is it shared with another switch?  Is it an option?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no instrument lights dimmer on my 73/ 510, there is a dimmer on the 240z-280z but that dimmer has nothing to do with the headlights.  Dimmer switch is an old British term for the high beam switch which is what it seems you are talking about.

The old "flash to pass" that no one seems to do any more, anyway, I just had that switch apart the other day for cleaning and you can see that little copper tab under the signal arm is just above the copper contact in the 1st pic, the 2nd pic the high beams are on and the tab and contact are touching.

Your tab is either not touching when it should be or the contact area is too dirty to make an electrical connection.  It could also be many other things but the switch itself is probably the best place to start.

IMG_0417-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0419-1024x768.md.jpg

Edited by grannyknot
21 hours ago, slim_jimmy7 said:

My Headlights don't work when the brights are on, it's been an issue that I have just put on the back burner for a long time, but recently I was browsing Datsun related forums in regards to the headlight issue and noticed mention of a dimmer switch for the dashboard.  I cannot find one in my vehicle, it's a 1972. Does my 510 have one?  And if it does, where is it?  Is it shared with another switch?  Is it an option?

If you have low beams but the high beams don't work, make sure your parking lights are working.  No parking lights the headlight relay can't work.

Touch or listen at the relay for a click when changing.

The relay can only be ON of OFF those are the only choices. Without power to the relay coil  it is OFF and the OFF position is low beams.  Power is supplied to the relay coil (Green Blue stripe wire) from the parking lights and is grounded Black/Red wire at relay) through the hi/low/ beam switch on the turn signal stalk in the HI beam position turning the relay ON and the relay powers the HIGH beams.   

If no clicking at the relay...

Check for power on the Green/Blue stripe wire with headlights lights on. If you have power, ground the Black/Red stripe and the relay should trip to hi beams.