when did you know your truck was either a project or a parts truck?

daretzcouple

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I parted out a 620 that I wanted to drive for several reasons.

It was rusty front to back.  The rad core support was ate up, as was the cowl and all of the floor including seatbelt mounting points.  The bed was rusted out thru and thru as well.  The wiring had suffered lots of water damage as well.  The glass was bad front and back.  I was never going to get a title for it.

So for me, I decided to part it out in order to help save other 620s.  I did not try to make money, but just got back out and ended up helping others and myself cuz I did keep some stuff for my 521.  

If you really want a 620, keep a look out.  I bet you will find one.  I look on others facebooks and see some solid trucks that are very reasonable around my part.

In the end, its up to you.

18 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

I parted out a 620 that I wanted to drive for several reasons.

It was rusty front to back.  The rad core support was ate up, as was the cowl and all of the floor including seatbelt mounting points.  The bed was rusted out thru and thru as well.  The wiring had suffered lots of water damage as well.  The glass was bad front and back.  I was never going to get a title for it.

So for me, I decided to part it out in order to help save other 620s.  I did not try to make money, but just got back out and ended up helping others and myself cuz I did keep some stuff for my 521.  

If you really want a 620, keep a look out.  I bet you will find one.  I look on others facebooks and see some solid trucks that are very reasonable around my part.

In the end, its up to you.

so when i went to buy it, it had some rust ill admit i was like no problem. but once i started to remove parts i realized i was way over my head, previous owner had hidden rust holes with good old bondo so most if not all body panels have a baseball size hole in them. 

17 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Call me stubborn, but if I buy a car/truck to restore, it gets built. I will buy parts vehicles for parts, but I know that when I buy them.

yeah i was blindsided most rust was patched with bondo, didn't see it until i started stripping it, since it hadn't started to bubble up

22 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Pic would probably help.....

And describe its condition better

It's all relative... anything can be saved 

Some area's have more choices available others not so much....

unfortunately Virginia and the east coast make it hard to find parts trucks like on the western part of the state, I thought i had fenders and bedsides lined up, but i got screwed over by datsun recyclers, luckily i got my money back but that was a 3 month ordeal in itself. I think ill just part it out and save up and find a better starting point

1 hour ago, daretzcouple said:

so when i went to buy it, it had some rust ill admit i was like no problem. but once i started to remove parts i realized i was way over my head, previous owner had hidden rust holes with good old bondo so most if not all body panels have a baseball size hole in them. 

yeah i was blindsided most rust was patched with bondo, didn't see it until i started stripping it, since it hadn't started to bubble up

That can happen.

Are you good at all with a welder? Rust repair is not as challenging as you may think.

2 hours ago, daretzcouple said:

unfortunately Virginia and the east coast make it hard to find parts trucks like on the western part of the state, I thought i had fenders and bedsides lined up, but i got screwed over by datsun recyclers, luckily i got my money back but that was a 3 month ordeal in itself. I think ill just part it out and save up and find a better starting point

Trust me I understand.... I'm up in Massachusetts with a 521 so I understand the challenge of have a datsun on the east coast.... 

I suggest finding what you want first then part this out after... keep the parts you might need for now.... till you figure out if you need them or not.. 

• Like 1

Had a 79 last year that my step father gave me to pay back 600 that he borrowed. Truck was rusted to shit, fenders nearly falling off, floors gone, bed toast,  door skins flopping..... you get the idea.

Had a perfect dash however, ran and gearbox shifted smoothly.

Posted it on CL and within a couple weeks had it sold for 600, dude came from over three hours away to get it.

Once he handed me the cash he said "I'd have given you 600 just for the dash"!!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That can happen.

Are you good at all with a welder? Rust repair is not as challenging as you may think.

yeah i am, i weld for the shipyard. I think i get too much in my own head. That and the wife think its going to cost way too much to get it road worthy

• Like 1