411 motor mounts

jluna94

Hi, everyone, who’s reading this. I’m trying to get some RL411 motor mount brackets but can’t find any. I thought the roadster could be used but was told it can’t. So by all means if anyone has them, please contact me as soon as possible, my email is jluna596@yahoo.com. Thank you and take care as always.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for getting back, I originally bought a roadster r16. I basically have all the swap parts for rl411 besides the engine mounts. Also, I didn’t receive the engine mounts that came with the r16 that I purchase. So I’ll just need that, but like I said can’t find anything anywhere 

I think you will probably have to fab something up using newer , easier to find motor mounts .. I have seen a couple RLs  in fields but mounts are always in two pieces ..

Try getting a hold of a guy by the name of Erich Paul on face book he might be able to help with your search 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, difrangia said:

For the crafty tinkerer with no other avenue:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/diy-build-your-own-transmission-mount.html

I think most people go with the flexane custom fab jobs if there are no other options. 

DD

• 2 weeks later...

Water outlet - I used a Kia Sephia thermostat outlet.  Same general shape, slightly shorter vertical dome height but looks almost exactly like the NISSAN part.  Only change is that the fastener bolt holes are metric and have to be reamed slightly to fit the SAE bolts to the head.  Chrysler corporate outlets [V6] are perfect but they point the upper hose directly into the fan blade arc, so don't even consider them.  Once installed, only the most meticulous inspection would disclose that the Kia part was not original..

Alternator mount?  I never had to change mine but several parts stores sell an adjustable mount for Chevy V8s that may suit your need.  They allow lateral spacing adjustment.

Crank pulley?  Take measurements of  the crankshaft diameter and check out Ford Pinto pulleys, the Pinto engine is a metric import from Brazil and just may suit your needs.  In the past I have used Pinto fan blade pulleys with spacers for a temporary water pump fix on my RL411.  Pintos are cheap enough that you can buy several samples and can those you can't use.

• Like 1

Also, use Chrysler water outlet gaskets.  The "universal" gaskets are too narrow to properly seal to the head.  I also paint both sides of the gasket with Permatex number 1 sealant on installation.  It is non hardening so does not screw up future replacement of the thermostat.

18 hours ago, jluna94 said:

Thanks for the help, as for a water pump. Is there anything that can be replaced since I have the roadster water pump. 

You have to pull the RL411 spinner off the old water pump and press it onto the roadster pump [after pulling the roadster spinner].riskier option if you don't have access to an original RL411 pump is to get a Pinto upper pulley , slot the mounting holes or open up  [the hole spacing is a little tight] and shim to  align the fan belt.  The ring that supports the 2 bladed roadster or PL411 fan is about the right thickness.  The RL411 uses a monolithic 4 blade fan.  OR use a washer stack [less desirable]. Hope you have good engine mounts!  There is less that one half inch clearance to the radiator  with  the longer roadster water pump shaft.  Ideally you would cut a half inch off the roadster shaft but that's hard to do without screwing up the pump.

14 hours ago, jluna94 said:

Which Chrysler gasket is useful? Is  there a certain model/year? Since you told me not a universal one.

Any corporate Chrysler water outlet gasket will do.  Most shops have Plymouth or Dodge gaskets identified so that's what I buy.  The "universal" gasket I referred to is the non branded "doesn't fit any well" gasket you find all over the shops.  Good luck, we need more of these jewels on the road.

28 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

You have to pull the RL411 spinner off the old water pump and press it onto the roadster pump [after pulling the roadster spinner].riskier option if you don't have access to an original RL411 pump is to get a Pinto upper pulley , slot the mounting holes or open up  [the hole spacing is a little tight] and shim to  align the fan belt.  The ring that supports the 2 bladed roadster or PL411 fan is about the right thickness.  The RL411 uses a monolithic 4 blade fan.  OR use a washer stack [less desirable]. Hope you have good engine mounts!  There is less that one half inch clearance to the radiator  with  the longer roadster water pump shaft.  Ideally you would cut a half inch off the roadster shaft but that's hard to do without screwing up the pump.

Thanks for the advice, will look more into it. I also, found a pair of rl411 motor mount brackets. Was curious though one is shorter than thee other. Does the shorter one go the driver side or passenger? Thanks

5 hours ago, jluna94 said:

Thanks for the advice, will look more into it. I also, found a pair of rl411 motor mount brackets. Was curious though one is shorter than thee other. Does the shorter one go the driver side or passenger? Thanks

I seem to recall the short mount goes on the Right [passenger] side, I need to look at my car to be sure.  No news in the next 2 days means "passenger side".  I answered this question several years ago, maybe a search oh motor mounts would give a quicker response.

The longer mount on the driver's side would accommodate the SUs and both manifolds.

Edited by MikeRL411
Added info,

You really need the RL411  starter, the 1600 cc roadster starter fits very well, the steering gear worm is on the same side.  The same starter serves both the roadster and the RL411.  An expedient I considered was to get an early 510 starter and transplant the RL411/roadster nose section including the solenoid from a failed RL411.  The starter body seems to have its bolts holding the starter body to the gear meshing nose in the right places.

A posting in this site on 4-14-2019 referenced an MGB starter that pictured a starter with what appears to be with the solenoid in the proper position to clear the RL411 steering gear.  Try using this URL.   htpps://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Motor-16164-for-68-81-MG-MGB/293042048758?    epid=179619009&hash=item443aaacef6:g:rxAAOSwpCFcrMWn   .  These were referenced in the post.  Don't know why the space between the htpp and epid listing, maybe the site and then the individual item within the site ?

In any case, if the listing does not work out, ask for a starter for an 68 to 81 MG or MGB.  Maybe the 293042048758 is the MG part number ?  So long as the solenoid is located on top of the opening for gear meshing it should work.

Good luck!