My Datsun SSS Coupe

Payco

Hi

I  joined the forum a couple of months ago and you guys have very kindly already imparted so much advice and guidance already which I very much appreciate. My 1971 Datsun 1600 SSS Coupe is almost here in the UK all the way from the Datsun Heritage centre in South Africa. She is due into the UK on 6th January so should be with me shortly afterwards. Once I have her I will post some photos of her arrival and progress. I have posted this to announce her impending arrival but also to test I can now host photos on here.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

CHb6aEW.jpg

NYNUqxr.jpgVElu0l9.jpgvU4OEQ3.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 12
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She will be driven during the dry weather in the UK and will attend numerous classic car shows. Thanks for the positive and generous feedback. First step will be to get her fully serviced, undersealed (protected) and then her lowered coilover suspension fitted. Should be up and about with all those things done mid April. I will post photos on arrival and progress reports.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

7PHIVlE.jpg

JKDqLY2.jpg

r0VKNZt.jpg

7IH7rHp.jpg

Ggyp0yM.jpg

LFIgDzO.jpg

Hi all. Car arrived  yesterday and I am very very pleased with her overall condition. Posted some photos above for you all to comment and view. I fully charged the battery yesterday and everything works on the car. She fires but wont crank so I am guessing its a fuel issue given she was running 4 weeks ago in South Africa. Can anyone give me some guidance on how I can get a spark  to get her cranked.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Payco
  • Like 4

You're saying you have spark and the engine turns with the starter but it doesn't start and run? You put an old plug in one of the spark plug wires and held against the valve cover while turning the starter and no spark?

That would leave fuel missing.

Do you have the choke on? Lever or pull, on the underside of dash, I think.

Gas in tank? May have been emptied for shipping.

Gas may have siphoned back into tank from the pump. Squirt a teaspoon of gas into the mouth of both SUs and try.

Take the outlet hose off the pump and direct into a suitable container and turn engine with the starter. Have a care as it really gushes out if pumping. Got gas?

Thanks Mike. She has some fuel but I will add more. I have tried the choke but have been told it can flood the engine so to be cautious. Will put some more fuel in and try the two other suggestions on Saturday.. Appreciate your help and advice again.

Martin

Thanks again for everyone help on getting her started. Took the air box off and lifted the pistons on the carbs, injected some petrol and she fired. Now purring like a cat. Took her out for my first run in her and couldn't stop smiling. The early experience of driving these cars is so much fun. Gave her a clean and have started doing a few little bits here and there. First job was to remove the aftermarket spots on the front bumper. Much prefer how she looks now without them.

w885D0R.jpg

q02x9eV.jpg4M2hH4u.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 4

The "aftermarket" lights on the front bumper appear to be optional fog lights (do they say EW or Everwing on the lens?) so don't throw them away.

Nice Coupe for sure-- and one of a very few in the UK.   Speaking of which, what part of the UK are you from (I would like to check out the car next time I'm over there!)

Michael

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

Great looking car, good to see you are in the UK too.

I am in the process myself of importing a 510 SSS from SA, it's going into a container on Monday next week. Have you registered your car yet over here and if so how long did the registration take to come through?

Where abouts in the UK are you, there cant be too many 510 owners over here so it would be good to catch up at some of the shows over the summer and compare notes.

Cheers,

JK.

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:06 AM, JK510 said:

Hi Martin,

Great looking car, good to see you are in the UK too.

I am in the process myself of importing a 510 SSS from SA, it's going into a container on Monday next week. Have you registered your car yet over here and if so how long did the registration take to come through?

Where abouts in the UK are you, there cant be too many 510 owners over here so it would be good to catch up at some of the shows over the summer and compare notes.

Cheers,

JK.

Hi mate. I am just South of Haywards Heath. About a month on the ship and then needs clearing. Although I used Autofreight to clear the car and deliver her. Be aware she may not have petrol in her for shipping and or course not strictly allowed on our roads until registered. DVLA returned the V5C to me pretty quickly after I completed all the form filing. Still waiting for my docs back from them so I can move the plate from the one they sent me to my private plate which is K555 DAT.

I am still REO for 350z-uk.com so tied up with them but will be attending lots of shows as per normal and always happy to meet up.

Just send me a PM.

In other news I managed to source a replacement original 510 radiator which I was delighted to acquire. Just needed a good paint, no re core.

Some photos below of before, during and after. Will be fitting her this weekend with the new black battery and then coilovers next. I am making progress.CbdaaBU.jpg9kr1qG1.jpgsKZ3MM7.jpg

Martin

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

Hi Martin,

350Z UK, you'll have known Martin Macdonald then I'd imagine...?

He lived not far from me and we did a few events together up here when I had my S30..!!

My car (and Ronnies) ship on Friday and should land on the 14th of March, so hopefully cleared and registered by early April, just in time for summer.

Radiator looks really good too by the way...👍

Cheers,

JK

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys. Just checking back in. Car is back home with me finally after being locked down whilst having her coil overs fitted.

She now sits much better on her watanabe rims. I am currently polishing a few bits of trim etc and having some re chromed (rear light clusters, rear quarter badges). I am also tidying the trunk and re carpeting it. Few photos of what I have been up to. I have to say I am loving the project and ownership. The community and help on here is second to none so big thanks to all the help that has come my way from you all.

Martin

carz3.jpg

carz4.jpg

carz8.jpg

carz1.jpg

carz2.jpg

carz5.jpg

carz6.jpg

carz9.jpg

carz10.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 6