which wire goes where? aftermarket radio install

cdddt_95

looking to install an aftermarket stereo into my 1980 king cab.

I am having trouble finding a diagram telling me what wire does what and goes where..

there are 6 wires total

1 brown

1 light green

1 light green/red

1 red/yellow

1 red/blue 

1 black and blue

i need help finding out which ground from my stereo goes where

with the use of my test light, the brown wire only makes my test light go off when in the "on" position

so im assuming thats the accessory wire??

any help is appreciated. not good with this electrical stuff

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds right. The stations are push button so no power is needed to power the memory. Turn the ignition to ON or ACCESSORY and then check the Brown wire.

Red/Yellow goes to the dash lights

Red/Blue to the dimmer.

Light Green and Light Green/Red are the two speaker wires.

Brown* to Accessory or fuse... on with ignition

Black/Blue to ground

I think this is right.

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...

Not sure what u mean by ground the other one ?.. are u saying ground either the red/yellow dash lights or Ground Blue/Red Dimmer lights and run the Red on & off with the ignition or brown with a yellow Constant straight to battery / fuse holder before the battery? I have No dash lights or Dimmer ? I ended up running the red/ Yellowto the  brown power to the cigarette lighter to get my dash lights to come on I must’ve fried the dimmer because I grounded for dimmer Like I said at least I now have dash lights but no dimmer! It’s gotten even worse after this but if u can you tell me what I would be doing wrong with this Last scenario would be great but if you can ,just explain or if I can get the dimmer switch to come back I’ve got a new dimmer Switch! Very confused 85 720 king cab owner! 

P.S. Please forgive the broken English I talk text a lot and hands up a lot of the times being what we call Textwaneese! (Short for broken texting) Thank you very much for anyones time with this problem or hopefully Datsunmike isn’t sick of coming back here to listen to this babbling 720 idiot! 

On 12/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, datzenmike said:

This sounds right. The stations are push button so no power is needed to power the memory. Turn the ignition to ON or ACCESSORY and then check the Brown wire.

Red/Yellow goes to the dash lights

Red/Blue to the dimmer.

Light Green and Light Green/Red are the two speaker wires.

Brown* to Accessory or fuse... on with ignition

Black/Blue to ground

I think this is right.

If dimmer not working  connect the radio light wires as follows...

Red/Yellow  connect to the Brown wire (power)

Red/Blue connect to the Black wire (ground)

The light in the radio will be on all the time when the radio is on. This won't matter in the daytime however at night you won't be able to dim it. It's not that bright.

As to the dimmer and the loss of dash lights, with headlights ON check the rear tail lights are on. 

If the tail lights are off with the headlights on then the fuse is probably blown.

If they are on with headlights on then replace the dimmer I guess. 

No, it’s an old vintage Kenwood and a Kenwood spectrum analyzer, graphic equalizer and it’s been kind of a nightmare. I haven’t got back to this post and/or the radio because I had other problems with the 720 still working on the dimmer. I got several dimmer switches, because none of them seem to work. I’m wondering if I fried something??

Best bet is to call a good radio shop and see if they can install it for you.When I had mine installed and they gave me my old 22 year old  Kenwood back with all the wires,no way in hell would I have got it Playing my Pink Floyd again.A new bad ass Kenwood with all the bells and whistles is only 179.00.This what I have...Plus Kenwood and infintiy speakers and XM-SIRIUS hook up.

Edited by Thomas Perkins