Question about shifter bushings

Chyvv

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller here.

Might have a few posts over the next few weeks about my 1975 180B.

First of all though, I've got a 4-speed pulled from a lower-trim, same-year AUDM 180B which will be going in once the car's registered and the shifter in it is unlike any I've seen online anywhere (yes, I've scoured these forums) and I have been completely unable to find parts for it. It appears to be missing some bushes (it is just generally worn, but it's clear some bits aren't there which should be).

Image:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ohTfkln

Are there bushings available for these? I've started making some out of door trim bushes you can buy from Supercheap but they're not fantastic. Does anyone know anything about these shifters? Seems to be the story with this car that every last part is something obscure and information on it is unobtainable...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

N4nzhy4.jpg

That's an F4W63 and the only model with a long tail transmission. Here they are called a 610. Ones with shorter tails were in the 510, 710, A10 521 and early 620. The earliest 240z also used this style shifter on it's 4 speed. Never heard of any replacement parts for them. That lever is an 'A' series infamously known as the 'monkey motion' shifter. I had one on my 521 truck and in any gear the shifter could be moved in a circular pattern the size of a basketball.

Where the threaded  top part bolts into the body there are two rubber cone bushings (8 below) squeezed between washers. Maybe add extra washers for better clamping.

PPUIfkk.jpg

vWLvA0p.jpg

Remove pin 17 and replace with bolt and add washers and fit bushing. (15) You can then tighten the ears on part 37 together, but it can't be too tight as it has to move. Likewise on pin 19. Perhaps a very thin washer can be slipped in between those 4 downward pointing fingers and the striking rod. (36) Again these have to move so they can't be too tight.

• Like 1

Most of the slop in this shifter is in the slot where pin 19 goes through, the inside of the part that wraps around the rod to twist it and move it back and forth is visibly curved from years of side-to-side motion.

there’s also a lot of play in part 37, but mostly around parts 33.

the upper linkage actually has surprisingly little play in it

50 minutes ago, Chyvv said:

Most of the slop in this shifter is in the slot where pin 19 goes through, the inside of the part that wraps around the rod to twist it and move it back and forth is visibly curved from years of side-to-side motion.

there’s also a lot of play in part 37, but mostly around parts 33.

the upper linkage actually has surprisingly little play in it

For 33 use a thin washer to suit the fit and cut a gate in it so it slides on over the striking rod 36

What I would do??? I'd get a FS5W71B and swap it in. The 180B 4 speed (long tail) and the 71B are the same length as I mentioned in the first post.

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

For 33 use a thin washer to suit the fit and cut a gate in it so it slides on over the striking rod 36

What I would do??? I'd get a FS5W71B and swap it in. The 180B 4 speed (long tail) and the 71B are the same length as I mentioned in the first post.

It was a free gearbox, mostly just looking to use it to get the car on the road and driveable.

If I can find an FS5W71B and get away with swapping it (P-plate shit here in Aus), I will. 

From the looks, R31 5-speeds are an easy swap, my mate was running one in his 180B rally car with some kind of factory tailshaft until recently (upgraded to a Silvia 6-speed box with custom tailshaft) so if I can’t nab that off him, I’ll keep my eye out for those too.

EDIT: just read those are an FS5W71C

'79-'83 280zx non turbo box is what you need but they are more of a close ratio and the over drive is 25% vs. half that on a truck box. This will make 5th only really usable on the highway for cruise and have no real acceleration. 

The FS5W71C is a close, but different length. With some machining a 71B L series front case can be fitted. The C transmission is at least 2Xs as strong as the B. You'll never wear out a good B transmission with an L18.