1984 Nisan 720 2WD pickup - still truckin'

Q36

I'd like to upgrade from the standard 14x5, 6x5.5 BC, 100mm center bore to either 15" or 16" wheels. Straight bolt on, no machining, correct offset. Any suggestions would be appreciated; aftermarket or factory wheels, steel or aluminum, just trying to get away from the 195/75/r14 rubber stock bands. Thanks!😀

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tire width and height is not determined by the rim size. Your 195/75R14 is 25.5" tall and 7.7" wide. A 195/70R15 is 7.7" wide and 25.7" tall. Almost identical except that the rim diameter is different.

You can go wider on 14" rims, even if only 6.5"wide.  Taller is a bad idea as it effectively lowers your differential ratio. This reduces your acceleration and performance not to mention the speedometer error. 

Your 195/75R14 is 25.5" tall and 7.7" wide. A 245/60R14 is 25.6" tall but 9.65" wide. That's 2" wider than what you have but has no effect on speedometer or performance.

Thanks. I understand that. I'm not trying to run a larger diameter tire, I'd like to run a 225/60R15 or a 225/55R16, same diameter, just wider  The issue is tire selection, not many choices in the 14" size and the stock wheels are 14x5.... about the max I can put on that is a 205/70R-14 (more than 205 on a 5 inch wide rim just pulls in the sidewall too much). Just trying to find out what is available in 15 or 16 wheels that will fit.