1978 Datsun 510 wagon steering gear box rebuild/replacement?

I've searched far and wide and can only find one lone post from a long time ago when I try to look up refurbs for my make and model. Anyone have good leads for finding an exact replacement or the closest fit for a different model that wouldn't require much alteration? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only exact replacement is from another '78-'79 A10 although other boxes like the S10 (200sx) look almost identical. Last I heard the two main bearings used in it are not available but they can be salvaged from other boxes to rebuild them.

What's wrong with yours?

Mine has about 6-8 inches of play from driving stupidly on a bad tie rod for wayyyy too long. Replaced all other steering components and tightened the crap out of the screw on the gear box but play is still there. I don't know if it's quite in my wheelhouse to rebuild so I'm looking for a replacement if possible. 

The '77-'79 200sx is the closest match for the entire box.

Crap I have to leave for work. I'll look up replacement parts. The S10 sector shafts are the same for yours and the 200sx so probably a lot of other parts are too and all you need do is swap them. Hang on till tonight.

OK some good news The sector shaft, that's the vertical part with gear teeth on top and the steering arm on the bottom, and the worm assembly, that's the mating gear part connected to the steering column, (probably the most worn out parts on your box) are identical to those used in the following vehicles....

'74- 610 sedan and wagon

All 710 sedan and wagon

'77-'79 S10 200sx

Find one of these boxes and it has the parts you need.

In my experience those boxes come apart real easy,,,,,  putting them back together correctly will take a engineer from M.I.T. and possibly an act of god  . 

Might know a dude with one out of 78 and possibly a 81 ,,,,  won't be free though.  

2 hours ago, Richroots said:

Forgive me for my super lack of knowledge, but do you mean I need to find one to disassemble for those parts or it would be able to swap in relatively easy? Really appreciate your responses! 

I would think it safer to take apart and swap the parts however it wouldn't hurt to try fitting it first. The steering column and the steering arm will fit but the body may not bolt up. I don't know, but those internal parts are the exact same.

Nanner, the '80 and on are totally different part numbers. I can't say with any confidence if an entire box will swap into the earlier A10. It might...

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Richroots said:

Hey nanner, I'm interested in the 78 if you wouldn't mind asking your bud how much they would want for it. You're talkin off a 78 510?

Will do... He's kinda a boneheaded fucker like his mother so we will see. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, bananahamuck said:

In my experience those boxes come apart real easy,,,,,  putting them back together correctly will take a engineer from M.I.T. and possibly an act of god  . 

Might know a dude with one out of 78 and possibly a 81 ,,,,  won't be free though.  

I had to replace the bearings in my 521 and then rethread the worm gear in the correct position. Hamuck is not kidding...….Pain in the a$$, but did it after sometime.  One for the non-M.I.T Engineer!!