gas tank?

Hi folks, Newbie here, 1st post.

I have a '71 510 Wagon that has sat outside for 2.5 years and unfortunately the gas cap was missing. Tank has rusted, can I salvage? or need to replace?

Thinking replace, is there anything I should replace with it? (besides the gas cap of course)

Also, does anyone know a spot to find a tank near Sacramento CA?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean it and check for leaks. As long as the rush hasn't perforated it, it'll be fine when cleaned. I took the sender out, because it's delicate, then filled with several hand fulls of clean driveway gravel. I shook it and rolled it around long enough to abrade all the rust off. Dump it out, rinse with garden hose, let dry in the sun. Put everything back and put a new fuel filter on. Month later I checked the filter but it was clean.

There are two part epoxy mixtures you can pour in and roll the tank around to completely line this inside. Great if you have leaks that need plugging.

You might try a want ad for a used one here... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Station71510 said:

Hi folks, Newbie here, 1st post.

I have a '71 510 Wagon that has sat outside for 2.5 years and unfortunately the gas cap was missing. Tank has rusted, can I salvage? or need to replace?

Thinking replace, is there anything I should replace with it? (besides the gas cap of course)

Also, does anyone know a spot to find a tank near Sacramento CA?

check with the 510keeper on here if yours cannot be salvaged 

he is in the grass valley area