12v WHILE CRANKING source.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When measuring  the 12volts it’s with out cranking the starter(No Starter Engaged.

so when turn key to Start you will get 12volt on the starter Yellow wire and the black blue/blackgreen wire at the same time

if your cranking the starter it’s going to load down below 12 Bolts across all circuits.Adding relays is not going to help.Yes even to 9volts 8 volts if you have a low cranking amp battery Circuit is in parallel to the battery

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. I'm back at it. This time I wired some connections onto the wires, instead of doing the high school twist!! Refresher, for those who didn't follow. I'm installing a holley sniper efi, and 123 ignition bluetooth controlled distributor at the same time. Cant get the car to fire.

Here is the strange thing. I have discovered I have spark at the plug. BUT only when I hold it a small fraction of an inch away from my strut tower bolts. If I hold the plugs threads against the bolts/nuts, I get no spark.. I do think maybe I should ground the block to the car better. Maybe. And I'm almost positive my one year new battery is doa... she doesn't crank very well. And doesn't hold a charge above 12.5 ish. I'm gonna let her marinate for a while, go back and give it a shot again. But until then, any ideas about the spark??

• Like 1

Batteries (at rest) are fully charged at 12.65 - ish, depends on the outside temperatures.

Ground. Engine and body need to be grounded. Distributor needs to be well grounded to the engine. Never heard of a 123 before but follow the recommendations. Does it need a special coil? a ballast?

Poor cranking on a new battery can easily be a dirty battery posts or cable ends. The ground cable should be bolted to the head behind the fuel pump. Is there paint on the head surface? Positive cable to the starter lug. Make sure they are clean and tight.

• Like 1