1982 Datsun Diesel SD22 Turbo

TommyBsolid

I have the transmission back in. I haven't had time to fabricate the turbo piping yet, I plan on doing that in the future. I have torn out the floor liner in the cab and I was shocked by what I found, it's rusted straight through. I am going to either patch up this floor pan or replace the cab, a 620 cab would be interesting.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-18.jpg

@wayno what sort of parts does he have? I would like to find an SD25 or SD23 if possible, transmission front case, alternator, starter, injector pump, DPC module, power steering pump/steering box, I would even consider buying a whole diesel truck. Anything pertaining to datsun diesel I'll collect.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not heard from the guy in over 2 months, I just inquired about how he was doing.

Finding a good SD25 engine is going to be tough, they are out there but in running vehicles and they are not cheap.

I used to know where a SD23 was out by Westfield mall, been a few years though, it is likely long gone by now.

Your about 10 years late, they used to be on Craigslist all the time around 10 years ago(in the wrecking yards also), I was driving all over WA and OR  buying them and dragging them home, I have not seen a $500.00 diesel 720 truck in maybe 8 years now.

There is this guy selling an SD22 engine/transmission Poulsbo WA, I bought a diesel truck there about 10 years ago, it would not surprise me if it wasn't the same guy.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/d/poulsbo-sd22-diesel-engine-trans/7155947818.html

Are you collecting or do you need parts?

Sometimes it is better not to look too close at a truck, it's a no win situation, it can only get worse, it is rarely better than one thinks, too bad you were not asking a couple years ago, I cut up a perfectly good cab to get rid of it as I could not even give it away, it had no rust anywhere.

Do you have the capability to weld in new metal?

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, TommyBsolid said:

I have the transmission back in. I haven't had time to fabricate the turbo piping yet, I plan on doing that in the future. I have torn out the floor liner in the cab and I was shocked by what I found, it's rusted straight through. I am going to either patch up this floor pan or replace the cab, a 620 cab would be interesting.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-18.jpg

@wayno what sort of parts does he have? I would like to find an SD25 or SD23 if possible, transmission front case, alternator, starter, injector pump, DPC module, power steering pump/steering box, I would even consider buying a whole diesel truck. Anything pertaining to datsun diesel I'll collect.

Haha, thats what my floor looked like this past weekend when I discovered the same thing, although not as messed up as yours.

I guess that vinyl/ jute covering did a great job on holding water to the pan and hiding the damage at the same time.

I put a piece of diamond plate in and sealed everything up.

A new cab for you is probably the best option if you feel like doing the work.

I bought a 1984 720 KC today on the cheap. It's a 4x4 Z24, the cab is in decent shape. I will strip it down, fix a few dents and paint it a nice color. I think the blue cab is beyond repair, the entire floor is rusting apart. The passenger side has already been patched up with sheet metal, screws, and expanding foam. I would have to remove the cab to repair it, the radiator mount is also rusted through on the passenger side, battery compartment is unrecognizable. I may have an attempt to weld in new metal if I have time, it will take a lot of work. The entire floor is beginning to rust, even behind the seats.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-a.jpg

I guess there is a reason it is covered in rhino. Definitely an unfortunate discovery, I wouldn't be surprised if it spent a year flooded, it's that bad. I will be piecing together the parts from both cabs together to have a nice hybrid. If anyone has any experience with repairing this sort of rust damage I would like to hear from you 🙂

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1

@wayno I don't necessarily need any parts at the moment. I am looking for an SD23 or 25 engine though. I am thinking about using the 4x4 KC frame and swapping a diesel into it, it currently has a z24. I know that I would have to modify the engine mounts, as well as the oil pan for clearance, would a Z 4x4 oil pan fit on an SD? Having a diesel 4x4 would be clutch for off-road.

• Like 1

I have no idea if a 4wd oil pan would work on a SD series diesel engine if grafted on to the existing diesel oil pan, the guy I told you about had a SD22 powered 4wd diesel 720, but it was sold, he would know what was needed.

He contacted me a few days ago, this is the reply I received below.

I have not had time to find all my diesel parts yet been busy at work and helping friends out

I hope to get to it soon

They had them 4wd diesels over in Australia, but I have tried to get a wrecking yard over there to respond to an inquiry but never had any success, the only way I have been able get any parts out of Australia is to have a friend I have over there deal with the party with the parts and then he sends me the parts and I pay him for the parts and all shipping involved getting the parts to me in the States, I have found parts for him over here, but I do not want to use that source unless it is very important.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, TommyBsolid said:

I bought a 1984 720 KC today on the cheap. It's a 4x4 Z24, the cab is in decent shape. I will strip it down, fix a few dents and paint it a nice color. I think the blue cab is beyond repair, the entire floor is rusting apart. The passenger side has already been patched up with sheet metal, screws, and expanding foam. I would have to remove the cab to repair it, the radiator mount is also rusted through on the passenger side, battery compartment is unrecognizable. I may have an attempt to weld in new metal if I have time, it will take a lot of work. The entire floor is beginning to rust, even behind the seats.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-a.jpg

I guess there is a reason it is covered in rhino. Definitely an unfortunate discovery, I wouldn't be surprised if it spent a year flooded, it's that bad. I will be piecing together the parts from both cabs together to have a nice hybrid. If anyone has any experience with repairing this sort of rust damage I would like to hear from you 🙂

Get a large industrial cookie sheet and weld it in.  Floor fixed!  LOL

• Like 1

@wayno I need your help making a decision about what to do with my SD22. Since you are the only person I know of with a turbo’d SD series, you think a turbo’d 22 would have enough power to push a 2wd with 3.7 rear diff? How about a 4x4 with 4.1? You think I could use a 3.9 on the 4x4?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TommyBsolid said:

@wayno I need your help making a decision about what to do with my SD22. Since you are the only person I know of with a turbo’d SD series, you think a turbo’d 22 would have enough power to push a 2wd with 3.7 rear diff? How about a 4x4 with 4.1? You think I could use a 3.9 on the 4x4?

I helped my friend put a turbocharger on his SD22 powered 720 and I was not impressed, but it was only here the one day, if I had had time to play with it I think I could have figured out why it didn't really have more power, it had boost and the EGTs were up there, so it was getting enough fuel, I really don't know why it felt so gutless but I am comparing it to my truck with an SD25 so that is not a good comparison as it is an SD22.

Whenever I have talked to anyone with an SD22 that actually works on them, I find that they don't really have anything to compare their power to, Dave the guy with the diesel parts had a 2wd diesel and 4wd diesel, I asked him about his power and he said it was fine but he never hardly ever drives on the freeway, when he first got the 4wd running he called me about a lack of power, I went out and looked at it he had it running and had to leave, I asked him later about it and received a vague answer which meant nothing to me, I believe he drove his 2wd most the time.

OK, my 521 kingcab with the turbocharged SD25 diesel doesn't really have any more power off the line in 1st gear than it did without the turbo, it's a little stronger in 2nd gear, but it really comes on in 3rd gear and has more power in 4th and 5th gears and I was very happy with the result, it has a 1985/86 Subaru XT turbocharger, when I used that Passat turbo on my 720 with an SD25 I got a totally different result, that engine has a shitload of torque, it has way more power in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but when I get to freeway speeds it is not nearly as nice to drive, it will do 100mph(both will), but I have to really put my foot into it deep to get anything over 60mph, much deeper into the pedal than the 521 kingcab, the 720 is a much heavier truck, but the injection pump was turned up on it, I was told this by the former owner of the engine, it's a totally different animal, I recently found another Subaru XT turbocharger that I was going to fit to the 720 diesel engine but have found so much other home owner stuff to do that I have not got around to it, I never drive that truck so I have not even paid for new tags, but half the reason is how much they want for a truck I do not drive.

If you turbocharge your SD22 you should have more power, how much I just don't know, that guy on the Nissan diesel forums was very happy with his SD22 turbodiesel engine, but I never met him or rode in his truck, but I do have to say this, recently I used my 521 kingcab to tow my trailer holding all my pressure washing equipment, it didn't drive at all like when it is empty, the 720 tows it around just fine, so my 521 kingcab truck may be a fluke, everything went together perfectly and the result was awesome, I may never be able to repeat the result, that is why I bought that other Subaru XT turbocharger, to see if the 720 would act like the 521 kingcab drive-ability wise.

I can help you turbocharge your engine, the result is another thing that I have no control over, I have seen so many try and fail on this forum, most could not build up any boost, I suspect they used too large of a turbocharger but I don't know that, the Passat turbo may not be a good match for the SD22 either, I have plenty of power with that turbo in my 720(SD25 engine), but it doesn't really drive like I like(am used to) on the freeway, and I have never driven it on a long trip to see the fuel mileage, I would rather drive my 521 kingcab as it is awesome, if I could drive 55/60mph I suspect(guessing) I would get close to 40mpg.

I really don't know about the gearing, one has to get the engine running properly and then deal with the rear gearing, I am turning 3.3 gears in the rear.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

I am thinking of importing an SD23 from australia and dropping it into the 4x4 with 4.1 in the rear and using it as an off road dune bug toy. I will try deleting the throttle body and attaching an SD33T governor I bought a while back, I still have it in my garage. I have thought about it and it seems like it could be a good fit. The 23 has a shorter stroke than the 22 and 25 but same bore diameter as the 25. The shorter stroke allows it to rev higher than either of the other 2. A friend of mine has a 620 that I might purchase from him to swap it on the 22 and use it as a daily driver, the fuel economy and power is good stock.

• Like 1

Personally I would not buy anything smaller than an SD25 engine, I have driven both the SD22 and SD25 without turbos on long trips, the SD22 drove me crazy, the SD25 was alright but I got into trouble on long uphill grades, I had no idea how fast the EGTs rise when your floored or almost floored way back then, it only takes a couple minutes to get to critical temps.

I drove my 521 kingcab diesel(SD25) to Orange County CA back in 2011 as I recall, I was fine driving 75mph for the most part and keeping it above 55mph on all the passes except that grapevine pass just north of Los Angeles CA, I was floored for a long time and losing speed the farther I got up that pass, by the time I got to the top I was blowing a giant cloud of black smoke, and the engine was not running right, my temp gauge showed just over 3/4s of the way up(close to the red), I let off the pedal at the top in the level area and it ran like shit, I started down the other side, by the time I got to the bottom of the other side of that pass it was at a normal temp and the engine appeared to be running normally again, to this day I believe I was real lucky that I didn't blow the engine up that day.

The purpose of my short story is these little diesel engines are not that powerful, I will likely never daily drive an SD22 engine powered truck ever again, not even with a turbo as the way I drive I will likely blow it up, I was fine till I found that SD25 engine, after turning the 521 kingcab into a daily driver(that trip turned it into the daily driver), I sold all my SD22 powered diesel trucks except the 720 dually which I found an SD25 engine for it.

An SD23 with a shorter stroke will have less torque and it will likely only be slightly better than the SD22 on the freeway, it will pass nothing except a fuel station, I would not even drive either of my SD25 powered trucks without a turbo on a long trip anymore, 75mph is almost floored without a turbocharger on level ground.

I would not import an SD23 series engine unless it was putting out at least 120hp, it takes power to move a 720 truck, even more to move a 720 4wd truck, but it is your choice/money, I imported a SD22 with a VE type injection pump from Australia about 10 years ago, I paid for everything in advance to get it to Portland OR, I had more than one person calling me telling me I owed more money for this or that, I didn't pay anymore money and at one point I told them to keep the engine, it arrived anyway and I had to pay a $75.00 forklift fee to have it put on my truck, and I had to pay customs $75.00 also, someone later online called me an importing genus when I searched my name, I have no idea what that was about.

• Like 1

I know a friend through a friend that lives in Australia. I don’t know what site/channel people down there use to post parts, I’ll do some research. 25 or 23 doesn't matter much to me, its a hobby I enjoy digging into. I will in the meantime start on the 620 cab swap and set my sights on figuring a way to turbo the SD series with a 33T governor using my 22 as a test bed

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1

I search Gumtree every once in a while, here is a double cab diesel(SD23) for sale right now, it is near Brisbane in Australia.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beaudesert/cars-vans-utes/datsun-720-2-3d/1246174213

I search Nissan 720 and get a lot of wrecking yard hits but none have ever returned an inquiry, I also search Datsun 720 and that is when I find most the double cabs quickly.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

Nissan made them and shipped them all over the world, just not to the USA.

A lot of them double cabs are diesel over there in Australia, perhaps you could get one of them wrecking yards to respond about a 4wd diesel oil pan and oil pickup tube.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am getting rid of the rotted out blue rhino’d cab. Its an ‘82, needs an entire new floor pan repair. Anyone want it? I am letting go of the bed as well. Not gonna lie it’s a lot of rust. Free or its going to scrap. Hit me up if you want it.

I also have an ‘85 720 frame that is stripped down. It’s in good condition barely any surface rust. Also going to scrap. I would like at least $100 for it, but willing to let it go for free if anyone has a project in mind that needs a frame. I have a trailer, I can deliver in the PDX area for a fee.

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1

I possibly am interested in the 720 bed. I am in need of a small trailer. I do realize that the bed fits a king cab so the wheel well is not centered. I need some pics of the rust in the bed as if it's not too bad it will make a good trailer bed. I am also going to need a frame.

Don

• Like 1
On 8/27/2020 at 3:02 PM, TommyBsolid said:

I am getting rid of the rotted out blue rhino’d cab. Its an ‘82, needs an entire new floor pan repair. Anyone want it? I am letting go of the bed as well. Not gonna lie it’s a lot of rust. Free or its going to scrap. Hit me up if you want it.

I also have an ‘85 720 frame that is stripped down. It’s in good condition barely any surface rust. Also going to scrap. I would like at least $100 for it, but willing to let it go for free if anyone has a project in mind that needs a frame. I have a trailer, I can deliver in the PDX area for a fee.

Wish I was close that is a hell of an offer on the frame if it is a roller.

• Like 1

I will post pictures next week. Frame is stripped down to the core, no rear axel or front hubs/suspension. It is a king cab frame. Seller had sawed off the front end of the cab from fire wall, just another piece on the scrap list if anyone is interested. Good wheel wells and engine compartment. Also selling a gasoline fuel tank for Z series.

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1