Need some ideas for a 79 620 pickup

Im looking to swap engines, not sure which one yet, then i need to know if ill need to change tranny and drive line and everything else. Im looking to get something thats pretty damn fast, but on a budget, can be used, i dont mind. I dont really know where to start. Less fabing ill have to do the better, but i can do it.

My Dad passed a few years ago and he was the one that knew all about the Datsun minitrucks. Now that he is gone, im at a loss and dont know where to start. The engine i have in it now is a L20B which i do plan on rebuilding later on. Drag race speed is kind of where im leaning. Any and all suggestions are very welcome!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ka24 and sr20 are your best options.  Basically any motor swap will require trans with it, especially if you plan to increase power.  These are both 4 cylinder engines that can make good power on turbos.  Also there are members here who sell nearly all the parts to make the swap go quickly and easily.

From there vg30/33 or vq35 would be the next best options.  V6s with good power.  Vq engines take to modding pretty well.

Anything bigger requires cutting and substantially more fabrication.

Lockleaf is spot on.  The moon's the limit, but your budget goes up with more obscure swaps.  Try to think of all the small things as well.  You'll need wiring stuff, a computer (aftermarket if you don't go with the OE for that engine), most likey custom length driveshaft, then you'll want suspension/brakes to match your new power output.  No reason you can't do all this as you go though.

2 hours ago, CALsDookieDatsun said:

Im looking to swap engines, not sure which one yet, then i need to know if ill need to change tranny and drive line and everything else. Im looking to get something thats pretty damn fast, but on a budget, can be used, i dont mind. I dont really know where to start. Less fabing ill have to do the better, but i can do it.

My Dad passed a few years ago and he was the one that knew all about the Datsun minitrucks. Now that he is gone, im at a loss and dont know where to start. The engine i have in it now is a L20B which i do plan on rebuilding later on. Drag race speed is kind of where im leaning. Any and all suggestions are very welcome!

"pretty damn fast, but on a budget" is mutually exclusive. Like Hainz said above $6k is very likely if you do the work. I don't think you're ready for that involvement just yet. Rebuild the L20B for starters and get some experience under your belt. Have fun with it and learn all you can about the direction you want to go with it later.