Just purchased a 1966 Datsun 520

iota

I believe the thread size in the side of the engine block for the oil pressure sender is 1/4' British standard pipe thread.  I believe the brake pressur switch is the same thread size.

I would do as Wayno did and install a mechanical switch for your brake lights.  The brake lights work faster off a mechanical switch.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys, back with an update and more troubles. We haven't driven the truck much at all this year with everything that has been going on. Plus, the few times we have tried to run it, it's been a major pain in the ass to get it to start. The issue we keep running in to is no fuel - the carb bowl will empty and won't refill. I noticed that the gas in the fuel filter/the entire inside of the fuel filter was yellowish (despite the gas being only a couple months old and treated with stabilizer or seafoam, and the tank being totally redone with POR fuel tank enamel in the spring). Carburetor inlet screen was clean. I assumed that the gas still had some kind of rusty or gummy particles in it, perhaps from the original pickup tube (since the fuel filter I had added in the rear, before the hard line, looked the same, and the pickup tube had been rusty inside and I just left it when I recoated the tank interior).

I drained all the gas, took the pickup tube out and made a new one out of stainless steel tubing, then got rid of the rear fuel filter and replaced the front fuel filter with a brand new one. Ran the electric fuel pump (Airtex E8016S from Amazon) with the outlet pointed into a jar to try to fill the line and it wouldn't prime it, so I hooked up a siphon and pulled the line, tried the fuel pump again with no luck, then replaced the fuel pump. New fuel pump worked, hooked to carb and runs fine.

This is my 3rd electric fuel pump so far, and these fuel system issues are driving me insane. I have now coated the tank, replaced the fuel pickup tube, replaced the level sender, replaced all of the soft lines, removed the original fuel filter bowl, added Fram G12 filter, removed the mechanical fuel pump & added an electric one, and got a new carburetor.

I am starting to wonder if my choice in electric fuel pump isn't a good one maybe, or my placement of the pump is too high? Does anyone have any suggestions for electric fuel pumps?

Also, is there any good guide on how to adjust this carburetor - the service manual I have has info on a different style carb which doesn't match my replacement or original carb at all. I think it needs some kind of adjustment because when you try to pull out of a driveway or pull into traffic where you are really getting on it from a stop, the truck bogs down and you have to kinda stand on it and pray that it can stop choking and get going in a hurry. The fuel level in the bowl looks low to me? not sure how to adjust that honestly

Thanks guys, hope everyone has been enjoying their Datsuns this year

DB1E2156-6CFA-4387-BBED-1266724015E0.jpeg

C5F3EDFA-ABA2-4C5D-91FE-69BEB9C8A2E7.jpeg

BC60FD97-E138-4611-96A6-5962F9E3AB1E.jpeg

Edited by iota
  • Like 1

problems I see.

1  The fuel pump.  Run a used 720 pump. Or Facet Gold Flo FEP60SV Electric Fuel Pump Kit Universal Petrol & Diesel Electric Fuel Cylinder Pump.

Facet-Gold-Flo-FEP60-SV-Electric-Fuel-Pu

2  Run the pump closest to the fuel tank.  Pumps push fuel better than pull the fuel.

3  Put the fuel filter back in between the tank and the pump.

Also a return line to the tank for excess fuel keps the fuel to the carb cooler helping to avoid vapor locks in the summer.

Also Datsuns carbs will evaporate gas if not driven on a regular basis.  So run the fuel pump for 10 to 20 seconds before trying to start the truck to allow the fuel bowl to fill before cranking the engine for start.

Pumps push quite well but they are limited by atmospheric pressure (14.7 PSI) on the suck side so remove and reduce anything that gets in the way like a long fuel line to the tank or a fuel filter. 

At the least put the pump where the filter is.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I see fuel in the carb bowl????

Yeah it works fine now that I've replaced the fuel pump (for the 3rd time in 100 miles of driving ).

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

At the least put the pump where the filter is.

The filter is right before the pump on a short bit of hose, i've considered getting it closer or moving it lower so there isn't a loop but I figure that shouldn't matter too terribly much. Sounds like moving the pump further back is the thing to do, I'll see if I can find some way to mount it around the top of the tank or similar

• Like 1

now somebody may awnser this better but maybe the filter should be after the pump.

might be ezeer to suck the gas up as filters drain. But then again it works ojk for a mechanical pump.

maybe that why the pumps are burning up cause no gas to cool them down. I don't know Im guessing on this one

my yellow 510 gas a elelctric back by the tank then a filter up front to Mikunis

• Like 1

All my years of Datsuning has taught me that any parts store aftermarket pump is garbage.  Try and find a factory pump.  I've used the electric 620 pump out of the air conditioning equipped trucks and had good luck.  Every aftermarket pump I've ever bought burnt out within months of installation.  I'm sure someone has a stock mechanical pump laying around?  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

All my years of Datsuning has taught me that any parts store aftermarket pump is garbage.  Try and find a factory pump.  I've used the electric 620 pump out of the air conditioning equipped trucks and had good luck.  Every aftermarket pump I've ever bought burnt out within months of installation.  I'm sure someone has a stock mechanical pump laying around?  

I had originally tried to use a mechanical pump - the original on the truck was destroyed due to sitting for a dozen years with bad gas in it - so I got one on ebay and combined the pieces with my original one. It worked fine for a while and then one day the arm broke off inside the crank case so I switched to electrical (after dropping the pan to get the arm out). Haven't found another mechanical one with the right size arm.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

s-l500.jpg

The 620 and the 720 electric low pressure pumps look exactly the same and have the same output pressure. They are close to $150 so no wonder they have a great reputation for being reliable.

Here's an unbranded one on e Bay for 1/3 the price. Chinese knock-off??? Ya gits what ya pay fer. Better to pull one from a 720 in a wrecking yard.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

There's nothing wrong with the el cheapo inline pumps generally (sure, some are better made than others)... the key is, as others have stated, they are pusher pumps. And their lift capabilities are fairly limited. But there's no reason a 'Pep Boys quality' inline pump can't do the job if installed as close to the tank as possible.

Having said that, hit up a wrecking yard for a 720 pump like @Icehouse and @datzenmike recommend. Permanent solution. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a lead on a mechanical fuel pump for a j13 if your interested. Can’t copy the link, but let me know if your interested and I’ll do my best to get the link to you. I e grabbed two and installed one and it works fine. 
-Pidge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, XXL said:

There's nothing wrong with the el cheapo inline pumps generally (sure, some are better made than others)... the key is, as others have stated, they are pusher pumps. And their lift capabilities are fairly limited. But there's no reason a 'Pep Boys quality' inline pump can't do the job if installed as close to the tank as possible.

Having said that, hit up a wrecking yard for a 720 pump like @Icehouse and @datzenmike recommend. Permanent solution. 

I used to build Datto's every day with a buddy, we put together tons of cars over the years.  Not once did we get away with using a cheapy pump, I remember back to back different brand pumps only working a short while.  We had so many issues we wouldn't even bother installing them and just swap the car back to the trusty mechanical pump.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Icehouse said:

I used to build Datto's every day with a buddy, we put together tons of cars over the years.  Not once did we get away with using a cheapy pump, 

I too have a wealth of car experience, and we have had vastly different results. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got an original Kyosan-Denki mechanical fuel pump in it again (and put the electric pump in the emergency kit, just in case). Thanks to forum member who pointed me in the direction of someone in Canada selling a new old stock pump with the proper arm for the 520 J13!

I took it for a test ride and it's running again but still having an issue with hesitation when shifting / trying to get going in a hurry from a stop. When I shift from 2 to 3 for example, I have to really stand on it and there's a second or two where it feels like we just aren't speeding up like we should. 

I just took the carb off (an eBay J13 carburetor, if anyone has a line on a real Datsun carb let me know!), replaced the pretty worn out gasket and adjusted the float slightly to raise the level of the fuel in the bowl to be a little closer to the level indicator. 

Took it for a test drive and still having hesitation when shifting up. When I look in the carb barrel and move the throttle linkage, I get a squirt of fuel so the accelerator pump is working (I guess) but I am not sure what / how to adjust. 

• Like 2

Got my "E662 kit" with Weber 32/36 DGEV today and started poking around at it. One thing I can't really figure out is how to get the throttle linkage hooked up - the kit didn't have any instructions for the throttle linkage, and just came with a "universal" linkage kit

My old linkage is the "bar with a ball-in-socket" so I'm going to disassemble it and keep/adapt some of the old parts to make it work. 

if anyone has done this before and has any pics of the 32/36 on the j13 I'd love to see them!

Edited by iota
  • Like 1

Take the linkage parts off the old carb.  These should bolt on to the throttle shaft of the Weber.  Be sure not to over tighten the throttle shaft nut and use the lock down tab to hold throttle shaft nut in place.

Edited by Charlie69

Well, this hasn't gone as planned. When I have the carb sitting the proper direction to match up with the throttle linkage (linkage at the rear), the choke assembly hits the valve cover so it doesn't fit (not even close). 

If I turn it "backwards", it fits fine but there's no way to make the throttle work (short of fabricating a new one or something) since the throttle linkage is now on the backside of the carb and the cable is too short anyway.  

I emailed Pierce Manfolds for advice but open to suggestions from the ratsun pit crew!

(not sure why my photos are rotated strangely)

088A2E4B-8660-4E05-BD82-6B135063AC8D.jpeg

FA683AE1-8E16-4403-AC6A-A3291CAD6ABB.jpeg

Edited by iota
  • Like 1