Exhaust Y pipe gasket

I got a bad exhaust smell entering my 521 for the last few days and it’s killing me.I figured it was the intake/exhaust gasket was blown out in the middle bottom.Its always a Felpro that seems to go bad.But it was the gasket blown out between the Y pipe and manifold.In all the 30 years I have never changed one and scared I’m going to bust the nut off This might have been changed before as there are 2 thick nuts and the middle center one looks like a bolt just run thru like the stud was broke and taken out and a bolt just run thru it.Im soaking it with PB Blaster now.

So asking best practice to not break the studs

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the longer nuts are stainless. I thought at first they were brass but stainless turns yellow around 5000 F? The studs might just be steel and they will erode and/or rust. I had my old manifold heated with a torch around them and they turned out with vice grips. Replaced with stainless studs and new long nuts.

otASYRV.jpg

Got some (sorry) Felpro gasket material sandwiching a thin perforated metal inner layer. Need tin snips to cut it. Made my own gasket and it's been on for 3-4 years, I think.

• Like 1

Heat the nut and the manifold around the stud with a torch, then quench with WD40. As it cools, it will suck the WD40 into the threads. Try right away to remove the nut, but if it doesn't come, let it cool before trying to remove the nut. If it does snap a stud, all is not lost. They are pretty easy to drill out, but it's easier to have the manifold off the car for that.

• Like 1

The Champion rad made in China I found  I counld drain the water .the spout T handle just spun around.Being lazy I just took the intake water line off drained some water from there Pulled the manifolds off then water filled the intake on 3 and 4 Cyl.

So the Nuts broke off and the center one was a short bolt going in the manifold from the bottom.Size is close to a intake size but only get about 1.5 turns before it binds.So this was a repair or the stud came out.now the repair could be a sae size or stock sae size since 521 use a lot of sae on the body I’m thinking it’s the normal size as a bad one would need to be drilled out bigger to her the threads correct 

This is what I do when exhaust studs break off, I remove the manifold, if there is still stud sticking out I don't touch it till I heat the exhaust manifold up till it is orange around the stud, I do not heat the stud up, just around the stud, then I hit the side of the manifold with a hammer as close to the stud as I can, then use vise grips to remove it, this has never failed me.

If it is broke off flush then I drill a hole as close to center as I can, then I use larger drill bits and make the hole larger till I can see I am just barely to the threads, then I clean the hole up with a tap, I likely would try to use an easy out at some point at least once before getting to the threads(especially if the hole was not centered), heating it up like I described above and try turning it out with the easy out, but getting that pilot hole in the center is my goal.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Heat the nut and the manifold around the stud with a torch, then quench with WD40. As it cools, it will suck the WD40 into the threads. Try right away to remove the nut, but if it doesn't come, let it cool before trying to remove the nut. If it does snap a stud, all is not lost. They are pretty easy to drill out, but it's easier to have the manifold off the car for that.

I saw a video on YouTube where a fella heated the stud touched the base of the stud with wax then removed it. Not sure if that’s the best way but it looked to work. When I saw it I thought Wow.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

Lynchburgnissan has listed SSS intake exhaust gaskets but says website is like just for info but it has listed the metal type gaskets.Anybody ever order from there.

I have been using the Felpro as they have the 1.5in port size but it seems this gasket was ready to blow out the bottom soon as was my last one(meaning I think they suck).

the typical VictorRenz are small port so I haven’t used them.

I see a company called Remflex15-001 FCRCMachine.com that makes a gasket also 

Any info?????????!!?which is best

I prefer the SSS if possible 

We used to ask the parts counter guy for a gasket for a 1974 610. They always had the large ports.

Remflex makes good quality gaskets, but they tend to be really thick. That always scares me when dealing with a flanged aluminum intake manifold. SO easy to over tighten it and break one of the ears off.

When I was pitting for a 240Z racer three years ago, we used them as a source for some hard to find parts.  They were quite helpful.  I don't think they will have changed  their attitude toward the vintage guys in the last two years.

Yeah I got ahold of them.

My Credit card was Hijacked waiting to get a new one then make a order.

zcardepot.com was another site that had some neat stuff, first I ever saw of it . Usually anything that says Z car is highpriced stuff but has a 510 part section

https://zcardepot.com/collections/510# also

Edited by banzai510(hainz)