22 tooth Pinion gear needed

Anyone have a 22 tooth 280z pinion gear new or used? Its the orange colored gear. Needy, needy, needy.... Please help. Thanks. So, I looked online, at the dealership, and ebay with no luck. Part numbers for Nissan that I have are: 32702-E9822, 32702-58S22, 32703-86402, 32703-P2622, 32703-86403 (last number is for a 23 tooth). At this point, I need any 22 tooth so I can figure how to adapt it to a old tooth shaft... Or anyone have any other suggestions.

Why do I need a 22 tooth? Because I have a 21 purple tooth gear and it reads 5 MPH too fast according to GPS and according to secondary car going at the same rate of speed who said I'm 5 MPH too fast.

That's all I got...

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have seen them on both on eBay, and on Yahoo-Japan.

P/N 32703-86402 is what I found mine under.

New ones are not cheap, I had $85 into mine when I bought it 5-6 years ago.

None on either sight right now.

Also possible to use a 22t from an Mazda, but you have to get the gear off the Mazda shaft, and put it on the Nissan shaft.

But you will need access to a lathe to do it.

Or go to 5% larger rear tires.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:49 PM, datzenmike said:

Good news and some not so good news.

Good

With a 5 speed and 205/60R14 tires and then a 4:11 differential my speedometer is about 10% out. To go 30 MPH I have to go about 33-34 judged by those neighborhood traffic radars. On mile markers I'm consistently 1/10 short. I'm running a 20 tooth Red gear and need a 22 Orange one to 'slow it down'.

W5RiDKX.jpg

Years ago I tried 'gluing' two part gears of 11 teeth together but the pinion off set was not enough and it was crushed. Enter Charlie69. He heard about this and rustled up an Orange gear and sent it and the proper pinion to off set it and I went to work on it. It was literally just the gear and I had to sacrifice a Blue gear to get the spindle to use with it. The spindle end is splined like a wheel lug in an axle. I hammered it carefully into the tight hole and voila!

22 and a 21 tooth gear that came on the pinion.

L3PB9jl.jpg

The gear spindle hole was part filled with plastic so a W drill was perfect for sizing it.

fFPFpQm.jpg

Spindle spline into the gear.

7cxRREz.jpg

Used the drill PRESS

gCYevvx.jpg

91MNE3J.jpg

Pop the roll pin out and swap the spindles.

07u2Sz2.jpg

Fully assembled

55ZOBr5.jpg

Installed it yesterday evening and only went 5 blocks because transmission oil is low. Had to drain half a liter of oil out the pinion hole*. I would say the speedometer is a bit sluggish which is good. I need to get out on the highway.

Again, thanks Charlie for all the bother and expense.

* this is the GM Delco Synchromesh Transmission Oil  I rave about. Well it came out looking brown almost like brewed coffee wtf? So today I got a couple of liters and was preparing to change it out. Pulled the magnetic drain bung and The Bad...

Bad

On the bung is a small strip of metal maybe an outer bearing cage and some filings.  The magnet was cleaned maybe three years ago, maybe two. So everything is since then. It ran good for the 1,600 mile holiday Canby trip. There was a slight, very slight groan sound when at cruise and the engine isn't pulling or slowing down. Same as the year before so not worried. It's an old transmission bound to be whiny.  

enSzpJs.jpg

No aluminum particles, at least, but something steel is coming apart. My insurance runs out in a week so it's coming off the road anyway. I'll pull it maybe this long weekend here and take the front case off. Hopefully it's the front counter bearing. I have one of those. As back up I have an '81 zx 5 speed, the ones with close ratio and monster over drive. Not really liking the idea of a 25% OD I like the 13% I have and will 4.11s I can drive around town in 5th and it climbs hills easily.

This is the one year only zx mid ratio 5 speed that I put an '85 diesel tail case on to get the reverse check sleeve and the taller shifter 'ears' on it. I found this transmission in a scrap metal yard and put in my 620. It's been across Canada a half dozen times and found it's way into my 710. Lord knows the miles on it and it'a always been a faithful good working transmission. I'd like to keep it.

Perhaps Charlie knows what they come off?

32702-01G22 is a 22 tooth from a '91.5 -'92

32702-02G22 is a 22 tooth from a '91.5- '93 VG30, 2wd, 5 speed D21 Hardbody.  These are the mechanical ones just before Nissan switched to the electrical speedometers. Probably for use with over size tires and optional rims?

God, I was hoping never to see that glued together, oblong, home brew gear ever again........

Mike, you are like a little kid, who took a dump in the toilet for the first time, and run to tell everyone to come see it.

Let it drop, it isn't anything to be proud of doing.

Did OK on the replacement though.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, WAGON JON said:

Anyone have a 22 tooth 280z pinion gear new or used? Its the orange colored gear. Needy, needy, needy.... Please help. Thanks. So, I looked online, at the dealership, and ebay with no luck. Part numbers for Nissan that I have are: 32702-E9822, 32702-58S22, 32703-86402, 32703-P2622, 32703-86403 (last number is for a 23 tooth). At this point, I need any 22 tooth so I can figure how to adapt it to a old tooth shaft... Or anyone have any other suggestions.

Why do I need a 22 tooth? Because I have a 21 purple tooth gear and it reads 5 MPH too fast according to GPS and according to secondary car going at the same rate of speed who said I'm 5 MPH too fast.

That's all I got...

One thing to think about is if the odometer is tracking correct or running fast too...

You can do a mile or even better a 10 mile odometer test.... basically drive a mile or 10 and see if your odometer shows a similar increase .... 

I corrected my odometer but my speedometer still shows me going a little faster.... so now I need to recalibrate the speedometer.....

All depends on what you want accurate....

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

One thing to think about is if the odometer is tracking correct or running fast too...

You can do a mile or even better a 10 mile odometer test.... basically drive a mile or 10 and see if your odometer shows a similar increase .... 

I corrected my odometer but my speedometer still shows me going a little faster.... so now I need to recalibrate the speedometer.....

All depends on what you want accurate....

I want it just a smidge more accurate, maybe 1-2 mph off, not 5 or more. I'd rather it say i'm a smidge slow than fast-personal taste. If I want the most accurate I'd just run GPS. I like mechanical though-Dosn't need a battery or an electrical current to operate.

The 10 mile odometer test says im too fast.

10 hours ago, G-Duax said:

Have seen them on both on eBay, and on Yahoo-Japan.

P/N 32703-86402 is what I found mine under.

New ones are not cheap, I had $85 into mine when I bought it 5-6 years ago.

None on either sight right now.

Also possible to use a 22t from an Mazda, but you have to get the gear off the Mazda shaft, and put it on the Nissan shaft.

But you will need access to a lathe to do it.

Or go to 5% larger rear tires.

Which Mazda? You have additional information? :)

@ Mike,

Just called up the dealership and gave him: "32702-01G22 is a 22 tooth from a '91.5 -'92, 32702-02G22 is a 22 tooth from a '91.5- '93 VG30, 2wd, 5 speed D21 Hardbody."

They said NLA. Bummer. So, kinda back to trying to find a 22-tooth gear and doing exactly what you did...drill and tap, cut and splice.

• 1 year later...

Older post but in the off chance that people come across this like I did here's a 22t gear that (for now) is available caveat being you gotta get it from Japan: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t1000716839?fbclid=IwAR1PgmrYYHkPniUR5ILFFBJK12VAOj4CgciIqrU8cPMYTl31I6HqPv8Mpfg

• Like 1

Last year I ordered a 21t speedo pinion assembly for my 280ZX tranny from Megazip.net  It was $30 + shipping from Japan, and came with the sleeve. I just typed in the part number given above by G-Duax for a 22t pinion, and they have it listed for $15.21. Sometimes they have parts listed, but you won't find out they are out of stock until you try and order. Worth a shot!

3270386402 - Pinion-Speedometer, Nissan OEM | Megazip.net 

IMG_20201012_093556.jpg

• Like 1

Get the sleeve with it to be sure it will work. More teeth means larger diameter gear. There are at least 2 and maybe 3 different sleeves with different off sets so the larger gear isn't crushed into the worm gear on the mainshaft.  Each sleeve will handle 2 or 3 sequential teeth