L20b valve clearance

So, in preparation of firing off for the first time in for ever, I decided one last step would be to adjust my valves. I know, golden idea right...? I have read online how tos, and am familiar from doing this years ago. Question is, what are the wrench sizes. Cause every one says 14 17, and mine, I swear to all mighty someone that mine are 16 21, which is a guess. I dont even have a 16, but my 14 sure is sloppy along with a 15. My 17 isn't even a 19!! Which is the highest wrench I own. Wtf??? Help

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Ranman72 said:

make sure you have good wrenches if low quality or very old they will fit loose 

14/17 is what they should be 

and 10 for the valve cover 

This isn't loose like that. This is loose like not the same sizes. I believe you, and agree, but these are just different.. was there a difference between heads maybe. This is a smog head btw. W5 whatever. Cant remember atm. But nonetheless this is baffling 

look again there is the main nut around 23mm this should be all the way down and tight 

then the adjuster nut 17 

and a set nut 14 

look closely at this pic the 17mm is the set nut the one near the top should be a 14 and is the adjuster 

All Photos-1327

Edited by Ranman72
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, 510revisited said:

Well I'm just a dumb ass then. I guess at least now I can go adjust my valves. I never realized there were 3 actual points. Again, I'm the dumbass. Sorry. I should just have listened. Maybe I should be a lawyer!!!! Thanks for the info.

no problem 

when you posted the pic i realized that you were on the wrong nut 

the bottom one always stays all the way down and tight 

sometimes if you dont know you dont know 

there is never a stupid question if you dont know the answer 

I wondered what would happen when a valve sinks up into the head and you run out of adjustment range.

iE5cqc3.jpg

I ground a coupe of threads of the post so it will turn down deeper and sanded down the lock nut so it was about 1/16" thinner. That's about 158mm of extra adjustment... enough to get you through the winter or till you can find a replacement head

LlQnKBg.jpg

46 minutes ago, G-Duax said:

One of these 17mm wrenches make life a lot easier when adjusting the valves on an L-series.

$_12.JPG

I cheated, and took a torch to a no-name open end wrench, and welded a socket on the top.

Sure doesn't look home made. Where the hell is the weld? Wanna sell or make one for me!!!

• Like 1

That isn't mine, that is a nice pristine, factory made one.

Too lazy to dig mine out to take a picture, and post it on photobucket ...

Besides, that one I posted is a 19mm (stamped right on the top), not the 17mm.

The 19mm is for a Benz diesel, but the 17 looks identical.

• Like 1