Difference between the years of a 280zx

So I'm interested in doing the zx swap for my 510. And being black friday (tomorrow) I'm scanning all the sites I can to find a deal for zx brake kits. I came across two kits. One for a 79-81 and another for 82-83. What's the difference.  I have the struts for a zx in my garage, but..... I have no idea what year they are. I thought they were all the same for that model. Anyways, as always. Any and all is appreciated. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, 510revisited said:

So I'm interested in doing the zx swap for my 510. And being black friday (tomorrow) I'm scanning all the sites I can to find a deal for zx brake kits. I came across two kits. One for a 79-81 and another for 82-83. What's the difference.  I have the struts for a zx in my garage, but..... I have no idea what year they are. I thought they were all the same for that model. Anyways, as always. Any and all is appreciated. 

Front brakes are all the same but the pads likely were upgraded over the years. Just buy the best pads you can afford for them.

Each strut tube has a part number stamped on the outside below the spring perch and just above the rotor. Use a wire brush. Post those numbers and I may be able to get a year they were used. There are two 5 digit numbers starting with 54302 (right hand).... the next digit will probably be a P and 4 more numbers. 54303 are left hand

There was no mention of rear brakes. Only front struts.

Those pictures are useless and are of the '70-'78 S30 calipers.

These are zx calipers and struts.

JSWD92k.jpg

All you need are new rotors (skip those ridiculous cross drilled things) and pads. The pads do all the work, so spend money on them. Say $100 for the rotors and $65 for the pads. If the calipers are leaking then new calipers otherwise wire brush them and spray them red or something. It's a 2,300 pound 510, the stock zx brakes are an insane upgrade to begin with. You'll never drive them hard enough to matter if you didn't spent $500 on them.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

There was no mention of rear brakes. Only front struts.

Those pictures are useless and are of the '70-'78 S30 calipers.

These are zx calipers and struts.

JSWD92k.jpg

All you need are new rotors (skip those ridiculous cross drilled things) and pads. The pads do all the work, so spend money on them. Say $100 for the rotors and $65 for the pads. If the calipers are leaking then new calipers otherwise wire brush them and spray them red or something. It's a 2,300 pound 510, the stock zx brakes are an insane upgrade to begin with. You'll never drive them hard enough to matter if you didn't spent $500 on them.

He asked what the difference is and why there are different kits between year segments - because those kits include rear brake hoses and the rear hoses are different for 79-81 vs 82-83

• Like 1