1974 Datsun 620 with Z20 engine dont start.

Elbocho74

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Elbocho74 said:

You are right my points are fouled.

My coil is .07 ohm and requires a .8 ohm resistor.  Now that I saw the engine running.  Im considering set it up with an electronic ignition system. 

What set up could I use for electronic ignition.  Could you list the part numbers.  I would like something reliable but not too expensive.  

As long as you have points you need to limit the current flow through them. The coil and the ballast resister should total about 3 ohms. If the coil you have is 0.7 then you need about a 2.5 ohm ballast.

That 0.7 ohm coil would work with an electronic ignition.

That said for now until you can find an EI, (electronic ignition) get a new coil, and a ballast resister to match, for a points distributor, like  a '77 200sx. NAPA will probably have a replacement but it must be for a points distributor. Here are the part numbers, perhaps they can use them to cross reference another make.

Coil......... 22448-U6702

Ballast... 22460-U2200

Try a want ad here... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  ... All you need is a coil and a ballast for any Datsun before '78.

The 'matchbox' is a second gen EI distributor that has a miniaturized 'little black box" igniter module on the side. They were introduced in all '79 vehicles and used in the L series distributors through '80. Keep your 'master blaster' 0.8 ohm coil, it will work perfectly with a matchbox.

QWZkhvg.jpg

OG1k6g2.jpg

The perfect answer would be to get the 8 plug Z24 distributor and use all those plugs. It's the 3rd generation EI with the module inside under the rotor. It's what is supposed to be on there with an 8 plug head..

• Like 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

As long as you have points you need to limit the current flow through them. The coil and the ballast resister should total about 3 ohms. If the coil you have is 0.7 then you need about a 2.5 ohm ballast.

That said for now until you can find an EI, (electronic ignition) get a new coil, and a ballast resister to match, for a points distributor, like  a '77 200sx. NAPA will probably have a replacement but it must be for a points distributor. Here are the part numbers, perhaps they can use them to cross reference another make.

Ballast... 22460-U2200

Try a want ad here... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  ... All you need is a coil and a ballast for any Datsun before '78.

The 'matchbox' is a second gen EI distributor that has a miniaturized 'little black box" igniter module on the side. They were introduced in all '79 vehicles and used in the L series distributors through '80. Keep your 'master blaster' 0.8 ohm coil, it will work perfectly with a matchbox.

QWZkhvg.jpg

OG1k6g2.jpg

The perfect answer would be to get the 8 plug Z24 distributor and use all those plugs. It's the 3rd generation EI with the module inside under the rotor. It's what is supposed to be on there with an 8 plug head..

Hello Im in the proces to finding the Coil and resistor combination totaling 3 ohms. 

I came across of a Per Tronix 1741 ignitor for 4 cylinders Datsun. Would you recomend this to replace my points.  

• Like 1

Don't know how much current they will handle. You may still need the ballast. Hainz would know.

You might be able to use the PerTronix unit to run an HEI module from an older GM distributor. Essentially making your distributor an EI.

• Like 1

I have always read you want to keep the points coil and ballist resistor with the pertronix...  

If you decide to use the pertronix make sure the distributor your using was originally set up for single points.... you can eliminate the 2nd set of points from a dual points distributor,  and the pertronix doesnt fit that type of distributor.....

• Like 2

Thak you all for all the imput.  I went to the juk yard and found a 3.3 Ohm coil from a volvo, took it home. Installed it and replaced my points and condenser, re set my timing and got the truck running

Thank you all.

I will start a complete inspection on the truck and will start rebuilding the suspension and brakes.  

Cheers.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:15 PM, bilzbobaggins said:

Out of curiosity, why did you drop the E.I. dizzy and go with 

On 11/27/2019 at 4:15 PM, bilzbobaggins said:

Out of curiosity, why did you drop the E.I. dizzy and go with 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:53 PM, datzenmike said:

Ballast... 22460-U2200

QWZkhvg.jpg

OG1k6g2.jpg

Hey Mike, I ordered the 8 plugs distributor, rotor, cap and cables.  

I understand that if I have the points ignition sysytem, I will need a coil with a ballast resistor totaling 3 ohms.

Since Im installing the pulse controlled ignition system as this z20 should have, I have my .8 ohm high voltage coil, do I still need the resistor? If so how many ohms resistor should be.  

Now I also have a Beru 3.3 ohm wich in the mean time I would like to istall it as the second coil, will this safely work.?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...