Alhony

My 720 Project.

vDhJdXj.jpg

Just bought this 86 720 last week. Love the red, reminds me of my first truck D21. The plan is to swap a KA24e out of a D21 into it. Currently has a z24(wts) that im going to be pulling out a there.

Was thinking of installing mikuni R1 carbs on the KAe. But first I need to figure out what engine harness im going to need. I've been reading that everyone is using the 240sx. Could I use the D21 harness?

• Like 2

D21 engine harness is integrated in main harness. The 240sx is stand alone. I have this set up but you will be looking for a harness and intake that was only offered for two years thirty years ago. Probably best to buy a whole parts truck. A lot less searching and cheaper 8n the end. If I had to do it over I would definitely start with a whole donor.

If R-1 carburetors you'll be making your own intake and the engine EFI harness is not needed. You'll need an L20B distributor and the 720 is already wired for that and the alternator, the oil pressure sender, temp sender etc.... you just have to connect it to the KA.

Go to the engine forum and look at  KA with sidedrafts. 16 pages of problems! Fuel injection is not that difficult and runs so much better!

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

If R-1 carburetors you'll be making your own intake and the engine EFI harness is not needed. You'll need an L20B distributor and the 720 is already wired for that and the alternator, the oil pressure sender, temp sender etc.... you just have to connect it to the KA.

So what im taking from this is that the hardest part of this swap is sourcing the distributor.

Find a guy selling a KAe with 200k for 650 in Washington. Thoughts?

Was going to use these specs for the manifold.

Heres the carbs and the new manifold. New flanges were made from 1/2" aluminum plate, and the tube is 1 7/5" OD, so 40mm inside, and 44mm outside.

Thanks for looking, glad to answer any questions.

P9140626.jpg

P9140635.jpg

P9140636.jpg

P9140637.jpg

P9140638.jpg

P9140641.jpg

Cuts metal like mad

28 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Go to the engine forum and look at  KA with sidedrafts. 16 pages of problems! Fuel injection is not that difficult and runs so much better!

Yes I would rather the EFI but carburetors are easier to troubleshoot/understand/sound better/look cooler and you can say "I did it myself". All you need is an L or Z series oil pump/distributor drive spindle and L series distributor... points or matchbox but matchbox is best to replace the CAS, crank angle sensor). You could even use what's in the Z24 and only use four of the plug leads. Make or buy an intake for the carburetors OR get the D-21 KA intake and make a flat adapter plate and mount a Weber downdraft. 

So basically electrical or mechanical skills. 

• Like 1