Heater relay location

I bought a 4WD 720 this summer for $750.  It runs, drives, and the 4WD works.  What more could one want from a truck $750-35 year old truck?  Well, heat.  Previous owners have hacked up the wiring harness pretty bad.  There are a lot of wires coming right off the positive terminal :).  That issue is for another day.  At the moment, all I am trying to do is get power to the blower motor. The dash is out, the AC unit is gone, but it did have AC originally. That is the background, here is the question.  I would like to use the factory circuit to get the heater working.  I am pretty good with wiring diagrams and schematics.  I have found a couple on the Web, but they don't seem to fully match the wiring (colors and such). Where are the relays are for the heater and AC are located in the truck?  And, if someone could point me to a diagram that they know is for the 85 720, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you all in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power to the heater motor is through Black* fusible link (there are also two Green ones) attached to the positive battery cable and supplying the #10 fuse. It has to pass through a relay powered by the ignition switch.  Heater fan draws a lot of current (20 amp fuse) so I wouldn't just connect it to any power source. There are two relays mounted on top of the fuse box. The one to the left is the heater relay. It should click when the ignition is put into the ON or ACCESSORY position.

* Fix or replace this fusible link and it may start working.

Thank you! I pulled my head just a little bit out of my ass and got it to work after posting. I had read previously that the fuse position was #7. And their were a couple gaps in my logic. Once I tried putting a fuse in #10. It was good. Even have all 4 fan speeds. 

I have to deal with the wiring coming off the battery at some point. All the fuse able  are gone. Just got a couple of hot wires going to the fuse panel. That will have to happen later.