Nuts, Bolts, and Studs

edekalil

Just wondering where’s the best source for new of these for the studs that go in the L series heads and other nuts and bolts that hold on the intake and exhaust. The coated or treated ones for the 510. You know to keep it looking good when it’s fixed up. I have seen people use a tumbler or such to clean them then send them off to be coated. Hope I’m making sense.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the original nuts and bolts were yellow zinc chromate although each owner nowadays seems to have their own preference for the look and finish of their car.

I have had to go to different companies to find all the various size bolts since no one seems to have everything. Here are some examples:

for M6 bolts

https://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/datsun-510-1968-1973/products/m6-bolt-set-for-all-vintage-japanese-car-restoration-nos

M10 front strut nuts

https://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/datsun-510-1968-1973/products/m10-nut-and-lock-washer-for-front-and-rear-strut-tower-set-of-12-for-japanese-vintage-cars

Locally I have a fastenal store that I can get stuff or online at Belmetric, for example https://www.belmetric.com/coarse-c-3_749_750_857/nr6ylw-hex-nut-yellow-zinc-class-8-p-141.html?zenid=u3ehhnfuhdd0ikipik01d6rbe5

Belmetric has a huge selection so browse their site. The only problem is that most suppliers like Fastenal do not have the JIS nuts and bolts used on most older 510s so for example a 10mm bolt will have a 17mm head rather than a 14mm head (JIS). Belmetric does have some JIS bolts so check their website. For a few bolts the shipping from Belmetric will make it rather expensive, but if you figure out all your order at once it is not bad.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, there is a place in my town that has sold bolts and nuts for as long as I can remember. There also used to be a place in New Orleans called house of threds that sold tuns of studs but not in small quantities. I’ll check out the places you mentioned. Not ready to get any just yet but trying to get things in order for when I do.

Forgot to mention zcardepot sells tons of bolts and bolt kits for the 240Z in yellow zinc chromate and lots in stainless steel including JIS. Probably a good site to browse and consider how many of the 240 parts/kits would fit the 510 (with a few bolts leftover).

Here's a link to their page for M6, M8, M10 stainless JIS bolts - packages of 10 - use the drop down list to select the size you want.

https://zcardepot.com/collections/stainless-steel-bolt-kits/products/stainless-steel-jis-original-style-bolt-m6-m8-240z-260z-280z-510#

On 11/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, edekalil said:

Just wondering where’s the best source for new of these for the studs that go in the L series heads and other nuts and bolts that hold on the intake and exhaust. The coated or treated ones for the 510. You know to keep it looking good when it’s fixed up. I have seen people use a tumbler or such to clean them then send them off to be coated. Hope I’m making sense.

I use all stainless. I can get you a set. let me know

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, edekalil said:

You can still get them from the dealer too if you wanna go for that factory restored look. 
Studs- 08224-82810

top 4 bolts on intake- 08120-8301F

in betweenintake and exhaust use studs or if you want bolts instead 08120-08301A 

• Like 1
On 11/28/2019 at 12:21 AM, DARIN 510 said:

You can still get them from the dealer too if you wanna go for that factory restored look. 
Studs- 08224-82810

top 4 bolts on intake- 08120-8301F

in betweenintake and exhaust use studs or if you want bolts instead 08120-08301A 

Thanks for the info my friend

If you are going to sandblast your OE hardware to retain the OE hex head sizes etc, you must use a less aggressive GLASSBEAD media.......not aluminum oxide or any of the aggressive media's!  Glassbead leaves a much smoother surface, so the silver OR yellow zinc plating will be shiny like it's supposed to be.  If you use a more aggressive media, the finish WILL be dull!  If the hardware is heavily oxidized or pitted from rust, you really can't get past that...............it will look kinda crappy once re-plated.

Every 510 or Z that I strip for parts, I toss EVERY good OE nut bolt washer bracket etc in a box & then send out most of it for yellow zinc re-plating........but I do keep some USED "raw" dirty hardware for Ratsun projects that don't need nice clean re-plated hardware!

Most hardware stores do NOT offer the Japanese standard hex head sizes.............they are typically one mm bigger ie OE 10mm would be 11mm, OE 12mm would be 13mm etc etc.  We race 240Z's, and sometimes we need every second in the paddock to repair something.  We re-plate OE hardware to retain the OE hex head sizes, so we don't have to GUESS what size wrench/socket we need.  Sure, there are components that require Grade 8 etc, or sometimes we will use SAE hardware on the aftermarket RACE parts, but we can usually identify those quick enough!

We have a specialty hardware supplier here in Denver called AAA Metric.........they DO offer most of the OE Japanese standard hex dead sizes, but expensive!  You can still buy SOME of the OE hardware from Nissan, but much of it has recently gone to SILVER ZINC instead of the mostly OE yellow zinc.  Riley at Lynchburg Nissan in VA 800-443-2117 has alot of the OE hardware available, but you need to order by size, NOT application.

Good luck!

TJ 

• Like 1