1978 620 front disc brake issues

Speedymaru

I’m attempting to get my 620s brakes working, and I’m having some issues with the front disc brakes. I removed the caliper, and I cannot find a replacement. Autozone said they no longer carry them. I already ordered new rotors. I’m thinking of doing the d21 swap, and I’m mainly just curious about how much the d21 parts should cost, and if there’s a way to locate stock calipers. I’d prefer to stick to the stock system if possible, because I’m assuming it would be cheaper and simpler. This truck is not a daily driver, so I’m thinking the stock brakes should cut it. Any help is appreciated

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto supply like NAPA, Rock Auto?? They may have them on an exchange basis. If they are not seized or leaking they're fine with new pads and rotor.

I've rebuilt  4 piston Toyota truck calipers... it was easy and I was extremely happy with the outcome. The rebuild kits are ridiculously cheap compared to re-manufactured ones that are questionable. I don't know if they are available for the 620 from Nissan still or not, maybe MAPA, RockAuto? Maybe you don't care to do this sort of thing. Try a want ad here... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  ...someone may have a set laying around from a D21 swap. lol.

Since your 620 has ball joints, the easiest way to upgrade is to simply swap the entire spindle assembly from an HB into you truck.  Disconnect the brake line at the frame, the tie rod end, the two ball joints and swap the entire unit.  If you want, you can do this with dropped spindles.  If you find donor setups with good rotors and calipers, but swap everything out, bleed the brakes and you should get an alignment, but it may not be necessary.  You'll get vented rotors and parts that are readily available when they need to be replaced down the road.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

Since your 620 has ball joints, the easiest way to upgrade is to simply swap the entire spindle assembly from an HB into you truck.  Disconnect the brake line at the frame, the tie rod end, the two ball joints and swap the entire unit.  If you want, you can do this with dropped spindles.  If you find donor setups with good rotors and calipers, but swap everything out, bleed the brakes and you should get an alignment, but it may not be necessary.  You'll get vented rotors and parts that are readily available when they need to be replaced down the road.

Gotta keep this in mind for my 620.... thanks for the info! Use this is I want to do a front brake upgrade.