A little gas seeping at the sending unit

edekalil

I hav had a slight seeping past the new factory o ring since I put the tank back into one of my 510’s. My guess is that since I had 3 tanks done at the same time the tank in the car may have been from one of the others. I figured I’d remove the gas sending unit, slightly bend or tap the three tabs down the ring tightens to to make the seal tighter. Like I said the oRing was original from the Nissan dealership.

EF934-BB8-DC45-4953-A5-C5-BD71-E2-BF8674

Edited by edekalil
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it's tightened against the three stops so not likely to work.

Drain the tank and remove it all. Use a brass drift. Check everything and get a new gas resistant 'O' ring. Not saying the old one wasn't. Maybe something caught under the replacement. Spec of rust? ??

The 510 'O' ring was used on everything from mid 60s through the mid 80s. Around then everything was changing to in tank pumps for FEI. The O ring is 17342-18000 just to be sure. I've used them 'off the rack' at an auto parts store for hydraulic use. I just had to carefully match it for size and thickness.

Gesus H polyglas spare tire??? That's not a radial tire and were last made in '74/'75. My new '70 Dart had them (raised letter) and at the time were state of the art tires and in high regard and demand.

• Like 1

If the sending unit is old, the "rivet" electrical connection that goes THRU the unit loosens up over time & leaks.  You can clean the crap out of it, seal it with something unaffected by fuel & try to carefully "pinch" the "rivet" tighter again.  Unfortunately the tank units are NLA NLS, and good USED ones are getting harder to find!

• Like 2

I’ll run it out of gas here  and get a better look. I did get the new o ring that was from Nissan dealer. Someone posted the part number somewhere and they where still available so I got about 4. I think the electrical connections seem fine. And yes there the same kind of tires all around on the car. I really need to get some new tires cause I been pushing it with these, I just put around town I don’t rally with this one. My budgets been tight sense the building windows and the tree earlier this year, kinda taped me out some. Anyway I’ll get some time later to get it right and report back. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very common issue as time goes on, and as the ethanol tries to dissolve our cars... I used Seal-All on the backside which held for a while, before replacing the sending unit with a modified NEW 240Z sender.

Edited by 68Datsun510
4 hours ago, 68Datsun510 said:

Very common issue as time goes on, and as the ethanol tries to dissolve our cars... I used Seal-All on the backside which held for a while, before replacing the sending unit with a modified NEW 240Z sender.

There it is!!  Never thought to modify a 240Z unit..........they ARE still available from Nissan!