My great grandfather’s 620 is now mine.

GGPA620

Hello fello Datsun enthusiasts. 

I just recently was given my great grandfather’s 620 yesterday. It was my great uncle’s for while and has been sitting in my grandma’s backyard for awhile. I recently got my grandfather’s s10 running so my grandmother wanted me to have to get the 620 out of her yard. I asked my uncle about buying it and instead he just gave it to me. So here I am. I’ve always been into imports. So I am very excited I now own a awesome orange Datsun 620! Yes the windshield is smashed in. The interior is almost non existent. But. The body looks to be in great shape and the motor seems to be in decent shape. So here I am starting my research and very excited to start my 620 build!  What’s up new Datsun fam!?! Excited to be here if anyone is still active. Or just even to tap in to this database. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, wayno said:

Well I did it, I like a challenge, but too many steps to get the photo.

5-DE09-AE6-E59-F-4-DCB-A982-6-DFB78-C736

I would remove the brush guard, but that is just me.

Haha you are the man. Thank you!  Yea the brush guard is something I'm not sure about right now. I want to find out more history as far as who bought the guard. if it was my great grandpa's i might go with it. I do not see many with it. I love the look without it tho. It will be something to decide later. Thanks again!

5 hours ago, wayno said:

Well I did it, I like a challenge, but too many steps to get the photo.

5-DE09-AE6-E59-F-4-DCB-A982-6-DFB78-C736

I would remove the brush guard, but that is just me.

Beat me to it 😄

That satin patina is something else. Nice looking truck, looks fairly stock other than the mirrors and brush guard.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Beat me to it 😄

That satin patina is something else. Nice looking truck, looks fairly stock other than the mirrors and brush guard.

Thanks i am a honest and honored NOOB when it comes to the beauty of these 620s. I love the bullet side and the front end very much. Sich a good looking truck. Im really not sure what year it is yet. I do agree tho it seems stock and a good looking patin to it. I'm going to put alot of hard work into this truck. Try and make my great grandpa proud. Also make it my own a little. Glad and thankful i found this forum and community. 

6 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Just noticed, she's a long bed. don't see too many of those. 

Yea it is a very long bed. Awesome to find out its not very common. Everyone here has me even more excited. I can't wait to get it home and start cleaning it up and making my list of what it needs and getting started. 

• Like 1

The build date is on the tag on the driver's door jam. The model year begins in August of the previous year so a '76 model year begins August of '75, through July of '76. Kind of weird but if ordering parts always go by the build date rather than the ownership title. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The build date is on the tag on the driver's door jam. The model year begins in August of the previous year so a '76 model year begins August of '75, through July of '76. Kind of weird but if ordering parts always go by the build date rather than the ownership title. 

Ok cool i will check Monday. Also i just heard back from my uncle who said he thinks the reason it was parked was because of the carrier bearing. So i at least have somewhere to start now.  Reading a couple articles on here it seems they are hard to buy replacement rubber around the bearing but it can be rigged up. But the bearing itself rarely fails. Maybe i will get lucky and find one or just rig it up. 

1 hour ago, GGPA620 said:

Ok cool i will check Monday. Also i just heard back from my uncle who said he thinks the reason it was parked was because of the carrier bearing. So i at least have somewhere to start now.  Reading a couple articles on here it seems they are hard to buy replacement rubber around the bearing but it can be rigged up. But the bearing itself rarely fails. Maybe i will get lucky and find one or just rig it up. 

The 620 carrier bearing with the rubber is actually fairly cheap, around $50 and easily available...

Not sure but you might need a press to swap it..

The 521 carrier bearing like wayno has is obsolete so sometimes you have to do what he was saying....

Good luck on the truck... definitely looks like it's in good shape....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, wayno said:

I believe that I used a piece of black heater hose to fix(rigged up) my carrier.

DSCN4204.jpg

Awesome! If it works it works right? Haha. I will keep this in mind. Hopefully I can find a replacement but if not. I will definitely do what I got to. 

58 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

The 620 carrier bearing with the rubber is actually fairly cheap, around $50 and easily available...

Not sure but you might need a press to swap it..

The 521 carrier bearing like wayno has is obsolete so sometimes you have to do what he was saying....

Good luck on the truck... definitely looks like it's in good shape....

this is great news to hear! I will do whatever I got to do. If I can just find the part I will get it done. I’m excited to hear that my uncle said the motor seemed ok. Just needed the carrier bearing. Definitely get some new fluids and filters and Check everything out before trying to start it. But sounds promising from my uncle who is a mechanic. It does seem to be in good shape. I will post more pics on Monday once I get more time.  Thank you very much. 

• Like 1