Wipers won’t turn on

Scrapson

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 speed? There is no power to the switch. Power goes to the electric motor and the switch selects one of two ground paths for the windings for the speeds.

Wiper motor wires

Blue/Red stripe wire is power from the fuse box with ignition on.

Blue and Blue/White stripe wires are the two speeds, I don't know which is witch. Touch a ground wire to either while the plug is connected and the motor should work IF there is power on the Blue/Red

If you have power on the Blue/red and neither of the other two start the motor when grounded, would indicate the motor is bad. See what you get first.

I took a gander and figured it was the wiper motor but nobody carries it so time to ravage junk yards. But I can check the fuse and the wires to it, electrical problem one after another with this thing. The washer doesn’t come on

Edited by Scrapson

If washer don't  work that is a somewhat good  sign that your motor is not bad.

On old Datsun it might just be corrosion issues. reseat and clean

I drive a 521 for the last 20years and  if electrical its been corrosion issues and dirty fuse or fuse box  or connections.  only alt and Volt reg goes out and light bulbs(very rare)

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

The heater is also on the same trunk line to the fuse box as the wiper and washer motors. If the heater fan works check the wires are plugged into the washer. If no heater fan then replace the fuse. They can't be trusted just looking at them.

There are two screws holding the 620 fuse box in and all the wires are on two easy to unplug connectors. Remove the fuse box, take the fuses out and clean thoroughly with soapy water and a bristly scrub brush to get any grease off it. Then get a suitable container and fill with lemon juice and add a few spoons of salt and mix. Submerge the fuse box over night and rinse and dry in the morning. The citric acid in lemon juice will remove copper tarnish and you'll end up with this...

6XXHZRx.jpg

Like a shiny new penny. This will usually fix 75% of electrical problems, specially the intermittent ones.

Yeah the problem has been going on, off and on but the blower motor doesn’t turn on either so I’ll change take it out and clean it. Also does anyone know what the red with black stripe wire does because it just got shoved into the block or brown because I just pulled the brown one out and now it works

Edited by Scrapson

I’m gonna pull it apart Thursday when I don’t have to worry about putting it back together in 28° weather because Oregon. they work now so I’m gonna clean it up to be more reliable. So clean it and jiggle it to work. Any ideas on the brown wire aswell as the red with black stripe?

I had a 1980's Dodge pickup truck once and the windshield wiper motor stopped working...I was at a loss until my dad came over and figured out we were getting power but we somehow lost the ground on it. He made up a neat little ground wire...cleaned off both mounting surfaces too and we were off and running...

So maybe make sure you have a good ground on it....

Nothing like electrical gremlins to drive you batty...

MikeC

8 hours ago, Scrapson said:

So clean it and jiggle it to work. Any ideas on the brown wire aswell as the red with black stripe?

I know you know where this is but I don't. What and where are the Brown and the Red/Black stripe wires you are talking about?