High schooler wanting a opinion

I have been looking into buy a 1981 datsun 720 dually with the sd22 2.2 diesel and personally i just think they're awesome little trucks but I'm scared if i get it i won't be able to do much In the speed department all i really do is go to school and work but in of the main roads that i use most days is a 55 mph zone and i think that i will have problems keeping with traffic. If so it there any way to squeeze out more power and or speed from these little motors?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our resident expert, wayno will chime in. The dual wheel truck didn't come with the diesel but someone may have put them on. The SD22 isn't that powerful but very capable of 55.

There's been a lot of diesel posts this past week.

The biggest issue here is the dually axle, it depends on what axle it has, if it is a real Nissan dually axle the best gearing they have from Nissan is 4.1 and I have never seen or even heard of a dually axle with them gears, I have seen 4.3 and 4.6 gears in them, these gears are not that great for the SD22 engine on the freeway, but maybe when the conversion was done 4.1 gears were used, the C200 axle in the 4wd trucks did come with 4.1 gears and they are transferable to the C200 dually axle, there may be better after market gears for the C200 but I do not know how to do that sort of thing, and I don't have the money to pay others to do that sort of thing very often so I make do with what I have or can make myself.

I suppose one could put larger tires on the truck to change the gearing that way but there will be a point when it will start to look strange with such large tires.

If it is not a Nissan axle then maybe it has better gearing, I would need to see a photo of the side of the truck to determine if it is a Nissan dually axle.

There is only so much that can be done with an SD22, I helped my friend turbocharge his SD22 powered 720 and I was not impressed, to me it didn't seem to have much more power, but this was comparing it to my SD25 powered 521 kingcab which is a lighter vehicle with a slightly larger engine.

Red line is 4000rpms on the SD series engines, they really don't like it much over 3000rpms, my guess is that 60mph is going to be the max you will get on the freeway with normal sized tires on a Nissan dually axle without it sounding over revved.

They get really good fuel mileage, you should get at least 25mpg around town, if your not going to be in a hurry or try to keep up with your friends cars it might be a great vehicle to own, but keep on mind that these engines do not like to start when it is cold outside unless they have a plug in block warmer, they just don't like to start below 40 degrees, my 521 kingcab don't like to start below 55 degrees, but I think it needs new glow plugs.

I am having a hard time believing that truck came with a diesel engine from the factory, I am thinking that is a Nissan dually axle with some tall tires, I would be thrilled if I could see it in person but since it is across the country that likely will not happen.

These diesel trucks need a special type of person to own them, it's takes a certain type to be happy with them, teenagers usually would not fit in that category, fact is I really am not in that category myself, but I make my Datsun trucks into something special, and the Nissan SD25 diesel engine is special so it fits into my great theme.

I have no idea what the current owner wants for the truck, but if it is not too much I would buy it and find a box for it and then add dually fenders to it, below is my 720 dually.

DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1484.jpg

And this is what it looked like 5 years ago.

DSCN0052.jpg

I have a question now, how was this truck started, does the owner turn the key on, wait for the glow plug light to go out and then start it, or did the owner turn the key on, push a button for 10/20 seconds and then start it?

To shut the engine down does the owner turn the key off or did he pull on a choke lever to shut the engine down?

Also I noticed the the front bumper looks like a 1983+ bumper, so liberties have been taken, this is a 1981 truck?

Keep in mind I am not being negative, I have taken plenty of liberties with my rigs, they are my creations, this is likely someone else's creation which I have no problem with, I am the self appointed king of creations in my own mind.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3

I have 2 turbocharged SD25 diesel engines and the stock type exhaust manifold works just fine, even turbocharged.

Here is my friends diesel powered 521, he put 2 stacks on it, the front of the flatbed frame is a 6" hollow tube the width of the bed frame, the stacks come out of that tube, he has no muffler.

Laurence-s-521.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...