Nissan Diesel Alternator Upgrade

SLO720

I spent some time looking at it last night, thinking about it over the last several days, and looked again this morning. With some minor modifications to the alt mount it looks like the alt can be dropped up to an inch and the incoming and outgoing oil to the vacuum pump will still work properly. The vacuum hose routing to the brake vacuum canister won't change much at all. The space between the steering box and the alt won't be affected much. And best of all, a little more room for a future turbo will be allowed. Moving the alt down just a bit should allow the 12V stud enough clearance to the boss on the block to clear the 12V stud.

This is all good news to me as this will allow me to almost double the available amp capacity, and still allow me to use a vacuum brake set up. After spending a lot of time thinking and planning, this Isuzu alt should be a good improvement for me. Now, I just have to see if I can come up with the money this month.

Don

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I've been away from my computer but as you said possible modification of bracket or basically running a belt that almost maxes out the alternator adjustment in the slider along with a protective boot to shield the stud. That's how I would attempt this anyways. Hope all is well and once you do this please do a write up so we can hopefully get it pinned for the diesel guys 🙂

I don't have the alternator yet, but as soon as I get it I will do a write up. It may be at least after the new year as I will have to wait and see how much money I will have then.

Don

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello again, hoping to revive this topic as a friend has successfully done this upgrade.

Just a quick update, if anyone has questions, our new member David720, is the person who did the install. He's more than happy to chime in for anyone with questions 🙂

The alternator fits very well but there are alterations that will be needed:

- Alternator is typically found with a 3 grove pulley, pulley will need to be cut down/swapped or will interfere with radiator

- alt fan is not spaced out quite far enough, possibly need to trim blade edges/alt bracket. 

- if running a/c bracket for a/c will need to be notched as to prevent interaction with alternator stud.

-a fan belt approximately 1"-1.5" longer will be needed and may need to be slightly wider than stock. 

***Please make sure if you look up an alt for an isuzu NPR that it is the 110 amp and not the 80 amp. Also look closely to make sure the "D" plug has two pins instead of one. The alternator should be a "LR-1110"***

received-615833489227346.jpgreceived-507877639856833.jpgreceived-182198779655192.jpgreceived-176351650276604.jpg

Edited by SLO720
  • Like 2
On 12/1/2019 at 8:16 AM, 620slodat said:

I spent some time looking at it last night, thinking about it over the last several days, and looked again this morning. With some minor modifications to the alt mount it looks like the alt can be dropped up to an inch and the incoming and outgoing oil to the vacuum pump will still work properly. The vacuum hose routing to the brake vacuum canister won't change much at all. The space between the steering box and the alt won't be affected much. And best of all, a little more room for a future turbo will be allowed. Moving the alt down just a bit should allow the 12V stud enough clearance to the boss on the block to clear the 12V stud.

This is all good news to me as this will allow me to almost double the available amp capacity, and still allow me to use a vacuum brake set up. After spending a lot of time thinking and planning, this Isuzu alt should be a good improvement for me. Now, I just have to see if I can come up with the money this month.

Don

On 12/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, 620slodat said:

I don't have the alternator yet, but as soon as I get it I will do a write up. It may be at least after the new year as I will have to wait and see how much money I will have then.

Don

I won't be able to do this upgrade for quite a while due to costs. I am glad that an upgrade was done and reported already. The pictures and written information are very are helpful. Thank you.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • Like 3