Datsun B210 To 280z Front-End swap

Wahinkpe69

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely you mean a 280zx strut swap for the larger brake calipers and vented rotors?

The 280z or the later zx fenders are too long and the wheel openings too far forward for the B-210 wheels. Have you looked at how the z fender will blend into the front of the B-210 doors? What about the hood line? I'm all for a little personalization but this will be a bastard child, despised by 280z and B-210 owners alike. That said, it's your canvas but I have a problem with someone ruining a perfectly good B-210. If you like the looks of the S30..... get one.

9 hours ago, Wahinkpe69 said:

Anybody ever done a Datsun B210/280z front-end swap? I want to put a 280z front-end on my B210 Deluxe Wagon anybody have any ideas or know where to get a 280z front-end that DOESN'T cost an armand a leg? Thanks.

Lets unpack this now.

1. Your car list says 1982 B210 deluxe wagon. That would not be a B210 but a 210 (B310), and yes they are closely related but different.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Datsun_B310

2. The 280Z struts will not work for a 210. 

3. 280Z and 280ZX are very different cars and the terms and parts are not interchangeable. Much like Mike above I'm assuming you mean 280ZX strut swap. This will work with some relatively easy modifications to give you larger brakes (mostly swapping tophat and spring/springperch) that have been detailed extensively on this site.

4. 280ZX struts are highly desirable and therefore not cheap as they can be used to upgrade the brakes on several models (510, B210, etc...). If you get lucky you may find a wrecking yard with these parts or someone selling them (stock or modified), this will not be cheap.

Here is basically your same question asked several years ago by someone else that goes into a bit more detail:

Edited by Dguy210

I thought it was a misidentified 210 but rechecked the post and couldn't find it. Went with the title.

Indeed, nothing about the 280z is any good for a 210..... or B-210.

I recently got a set of zx struts....

JSWD92k.jpg

This is a hell of a nice brake up grade on ANY Datsun. You probably will need 14" rims to clear the massive calipers. The strut tubes are also shorter than the 210/B-210 so if lowering these are already closer to what you want.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I thought it was a misidentified 210 but rechecked the post and couldn't find it. Went with the title.

Indeed, nothing about the 280z is any good for a 210..... or B-210.

I recently got a set of zx struts....

JSWD92k.jpg

This is a hell of a nice brake up grade on ANY Datsun. You probably will need 14" rims to clear the massive calipers. The strut tubes are also shorter than the 210/B-210 so if lowering these are already closer to what you want.

Last B210 was 78 and was never sold as a wagon in NA. However, the "deluxe wagon" is also a specific 210 designation (trim package I believe).

Due to the cost and rareness of 280ZX struts he could try for Maxima wagon struts which I believe are nearly identical and not as sought after. 

EDIT: I forgot that it was Datzenmike who posted that in the first place. 

He would definitely need 14" rims as very few 13" clear the calipers. 

I have the 280ZX swap on my B210 so I'm quite familiar with it also, basically the same as 510 to be honest.

Nice score on the struts BTW!

Edited by Dguy210

Yes I have the Maxima wagon struts but the sedan ones are the same. I remember one year the Camaro? had the same engine as the Corvette but they slightly de-tuned it 10 hp so the Corvette was the champ? Well the maxima and Z car was the same. Six cylinder engines, IRS, rear disc in the sedan and both were big cars. They could have used zx struts (and the L28) in the maxima but they made the Maxima calipers different and the rotor a mm or 2 smaller diameter just so it didn't have zx status parts in it. I got the Maxima struts for free just for asking. "Hurry up it's going in the crusher!"

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input however,  I'm talking about modifying a 280z front-end to fit my B210 Deluxe Wagon. And yes, it IS a Datsun B210 Deluxe Wagon, referred to in Japan as the Datsun Sunny B310 Deluxe Wagon.  B210 and 210 is the same thing. However, a B310 and a 310 are not. 

My first car was an 83 Subaru Loyale GL 4x4 Wagon, very similar to the Datsun B210 Wagons. I am well-versed in Japanese cars of the 80's having grown up in the 80's around them as my dad owned several.  I helped him wrench on all them. 

DatsunMike, appreciate your concern but this is far from the only customization I'm doing. I also plan on putting fender flares on it, 14"Wheels/tires upfront  (already in the rear) as well as a complete engine rebuild/swap? I also plan on doing a complete custom interior. I've already ripped out the rotting seats, carpet, etc. I was basically just curious as to whether anyone else did anything radical to theirs. I've scoured the Internet and have come up with almost zero on my wagon so, I figured that I'd go all on a crazy custom and make a splash. As far as pissing people off, I'm a Christian in a world vastly approaching outright hatred of Christianity and I'm a white and Native mutt that's also a Sundancer and Pipe Carrier. So, in short, I'm used to haters! Lol. As long as I like my baby who cares, right?

Anyway,  thanks again for the feedback.

A B310 is NOT the same as a 310. But no it isn't an import. It's a USA California  (unfortunately ) edition. 

I thought about maybe doing a beamer front swap, too. Haven't really decided.  I just got my Datsun from a friend of a friend for free. It sat since 2013. I've finally got it running pretty good, tracked down all the vacuum leaks, etc. Long way from where I want to be, though

Thanks for all the input however,  I'm talking about modifying a 280z front-end to fit my B210 Deluxe Wagon. And yes, it IS a Datsun B210 Deluxe Wagon, referred to in Japan as the Datsun Sunny B310 Deluxe Wagon.  B210 and 210 is the same thing. However, a B310 and a 310 are not. 

My first car was an 83 Subaru Loyale GL 4x4 Wagon, very similar to the Datsun B210 Wagons. I am well-versed in Japanese cars of the 80's having grown up in the 80's around them as my dad owned several.  I helped him wrench on all them. 

DatsunMike, appreciate your concern but this is far from the only customization I'm doing. I also plan on putting fender flares on it, 14"Wheels/tires upfront  (already in the rear) as well as a complete engine rebuild/swap? I also plan on doing a complete custom interior. I've already ripped out the rotting seats, carpet, etc. I was basically just curious as to whether anyone else did anything radical to theirs. I've scoured the Internet and have come up with almost zero on my wagon so, I figured that I'd go all on a crazy custom and make a splash. As far as pissing people off, I'm a Christian in a world vastly approaching outright hatred of Christianity and I'm a white and Native mutt that's also a Sundancer and Pipe Carrier. So, in short, I'm used to haters! Lol. As long as I like my baby who cares, right?

2 hours ago, Wahinkpe69 said:

You had better post a picture of what you are talking about. While you are at it post a picture of the engine plate on the cowl above and behind the valve cover. If you have an '82 wagon it will say B-310 also referred to as the 210 here. If you go to order a car part and say it's a 210 you will get a '79 to '82 B-310 part. No where on it will it say B-210, because it isn't.

18s43u9b1gk3xjpg.jpg

A '74-'78 B-210 is called a B210 here. A B210 is not the same as a 210. All B-210 s are stamped B-210 on the cowl and the engine plate. All B-210s say B-210 on their emblems and there were no B-210 wagons only hatchbacks and sedans.

27146109847_c9048a95f0_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mike is completely right.

Does your car look something like this? Then it is a 210, NOT a B210. I believe the deluxe had fake wood paneling on the wagons too.

There is no such thing as a "B210 wagon". B210 was a North American designation and we did not get wagons until the 210 ('79). Outside North America the B210 was labeled 120Y.

There are some major differences between the B210 and 210 and the ZX bodykit you listed would not fit even if you could find one (B210 Hatch only very rare).

To put a 280z front end on a 210 would require major amounts of fabrication and skill. There is nothing even close to bolt on to do this for the 210. 

Source: I own a B210 and I've owned a 210 wagon. The 210 is a "B310" model, the "310" is a front wheel drive. 

I will be bluntly honest with you here:

No one is hating on you we just have seen a lot of posts that start with grand ideas and end with the car sold for parts or scrapped when the owner gets bored or in over their head. 

I would strongly suggest that if you do not have an extensive background in car modification and customization and a good workshop that you consider a less ambitious project. Maybe just fix up the car and drive it for a while before you tear it apart?

1981_beaverton-or-678x381.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1

s-l1600.png

The z car is longer between the front of the door and the beginning of the front wheel arch than the 210 by a lot. You would have to lengthen the 210 by what? at least 6"? or cut an equal amount off the 280z. The 210 door is not going to blend into the 280z fender. I'm willing to bet the 280z is also wider. I like the S-30 also but would get one rather than trying to graft a front onto my 710.... which is an insult to both.

datzenmike: I never said anything about the S-30. I Like the wagon's overall body style I just think it's too plain hence, the customization. I've customized every car/truck that I've owned. I don't do cookie-cutter (i.e., bone stock). I'm not into having a vehicle like everyone else's.  I've never been a conformist whether it's fashion or a vehicle.  I have my own style. As far as the z-car front fenders etc not matching up or just bolting on, I know. Otherwise,  what's the point? A body kit is still cookie-cutter because anyone can bolt it on. Also, you were right about it being a 210 (B-310) not a B210. I was half asleep when I wrote that  (maybe on crack, too?JK.) because   I know better. My manual specifically says 210 so, I don't know what I was thinking,  my bad. 

Dguy210: I never listed the ZX body kit, it's ugly. Someone else did and I said that that's what I was talking about  (i.e. front-end swap) was the whole front clip. As for driving my Datsun,  etc. I have been ever since I got it (free). I know there's a lot of fab to be done,  that's kind of the point. I just finished gutting the interior (it was rotted out) and am getting ready to do a fully custom interior with added tach, stereo, speakers, door panels, dash, etc. I've been wrenching on cars, doing fiberglass, etc almost since I could walk. I customize everything I own. I've done a lot of customization to my Ram already and will do more as I have the money. It's already got a 6" lift, aftermarket wheels, tires, headlights, taillights, etc. I appreciate your concern but, I am fully capable of doing any customization that I want (within my budget, Lol). I'm a car nut that more George Barris or Kenny Howard (Von Dutch) than Carol Shelby. I like radical, in-your-face, challenge your paradigm builds.

P.S., Anyone know how to post pictures without first posting on some forms ofsocial media? Thanks. 

Beginning of Project

Current State of Project

Edited by Wahinkpe69
To insert photo links