Anyone have experience with modelo frp fiberglass hood?

Lozer

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, thisismatt said:

You vacuum molded fiberglass in high school?

Not on the 510 hood and fenders.We used a chopper gun for that.We did do vacuum bagging of other things though.Plastics class,i took it for two years.We made all kinds of cool stuff.Surfboards,kayaks,canoes,car parts even bongs from acrylic.Vocational/technical class instead of college prep courses.

1 hour ago, john510 said:

Not on the 510 hood and fenders.We used a chopper gun for that.We did do vacuum bagging of other things though.Plastics class,i took it for two years.We made all kinds of cool stuff.Surfboards,kayaks,canoes,car parts even bongs from acrylic.Vocational/technical class instead of college prep courses.

I would think that a commercially made fiberglass body panel would be vacuum molded, otherwise yes it's going to weigh a ton

I have one of the FG hoods that Troy sells for the same price and looks about the same as the one on eBay. Check out shipping & handling cost through. Troy's S&H was stupid expensive, but mine was coved by Auto Transport who damaged the old FB hood on my 510 while freighting it to my brother in Ashland. 

New one is pretty damn light, much lighter than steel. Not sure if its vacuum molded as there's an even weave texture on the backside. Rigid and well supported with a fiberglass support frame. Not a perfect fit buy any stretch but reshaping and gluing the skin back on the frame it straightened up nice. The top glaze was pretty rough and needed filling before painting, but thats to be expected. 

FGhood

510grill9:19

Edited by paradime

Picts tell the whole story. I leave the is or isn't the same for you to decide. 

Does this FG hood shake at speed? No not on my car, but take a closer look.

As long as the skin is well bonded to the support frame, and you use a front scoop to reduce pressure under the car, with adjustable rubber stabilizers on the leading edge, and two rubber wedge supports on both sides you're FG hood is good to go, at least to 135mph anyway. Beyond that everything shakes on a 510.

Hope this was helpful.

As far as I know, there is no FG or CF hood where you can just screw on the stock trim, but any hood can be modified for mounting it. It's just a matter of how much. The stainless trim around the headlight bezels mount on the same plain as the hood trim. Although this particular hood does not have holes on the bottom for mounting it, the leading and bottom edges are on proper plains and the front lip is the right thickness. While shiny trim isn't my thing, simply adding mounting holes is an easy enough mod to get'er done.