drum brake operation

athoose

My drum brakes seem to slide back and forth depending on whether or not im going forwards or backwards, is this normal. It's bugging the crap out of me. It's like they don't grab perfectly until applied twice when I change direction(forward/reverse). Also, the recent rear set I got at AA, seem really thin, the brake material. It seems like I've got the adjuster almost maxed out to get them adjusted. Anyone else notice this? Have a shoe brand that's thick.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read my 521 brake problem In the brake section? Mike said the 620 have a fwd and aft side to the brakes.my problem was the lower adjuster was loose and jamming up making my brake hot.521 there is no fwd or aft which I thought could be the problem. Just to let you know I had new drums as the part store said my rotors were out of spec.so I bout some from rock auto as they were cheap.i used PB Blaster to clean then some anti seize to help that wheel adjuster turn. Also I adjust it right there by pulling the drum on off till it’s tight instead of using a screw driver on the other side

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
2 hours ago, athoose said:

My drum brakes seem to slide back and forth depending on whether or not im going forwards or backwards, is this normal. It's bugging the crap out of me. It's like they don't grab perfectly until applied twice when I change direction(forward/reverse). Also, the recent rear set I got at AA, seem really thin, the brake material. It seems like I've got the adjuster almost maxed out to get them adjusted. Anyone else notice this? Have a shoe brand that's thick.

Drums are 10" wide. Maximum wear is 10.059"

Linings are 0.177" new.

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Did you read my 521 brake problem In the brake section? Mike said the 620 have a fwd and aft side to the brakes.my problem was the lower adjuster was loose and jamming up making my brake hot.521 there is no fwd or aft which I thought could be the problem. Just to let you know I had new drums as the part store said my rotors were out of spec.so I bout some from rock auto as they were cheap.i used PB Blaster to clean then some anti seize to help that wheel adjuster turn. Also I adjust it right there by pulling the drum on off till it’s tight instead of using a screw driver on the other side

The shoes I got don't have a for and aft, they are exactly the same size lining. Guess that could be a problem, lol. Yeah, my drums get warm but it's kinda hard to drive it without braking. Guess I could put it on stands. Anyway, I get the emergency brake adjusted to where it can hold on a hill and a week later it won't. adjusters are clean but they are difficult to move by bare hand.