Axle swap

Lonewolf1990

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The H-190 is more than strong enough for a '77 L20B. In fact good for almost 300 ft. lbs. of torque. The L20B is barely 1/3 of that.

If by 'big wheels' you mean wider that has no effect on gearing or axle strength. If you mean larger diameter this would alter the effective gear ratio you have in the differential and it might feel a little sluggish taking off. Your stock tire is 23.65" diameter and you have a 4.375 ratio differential. If you were able to lift it and get 31" tires on it it would feel like the same as if you changed the differential to a 3.33 ratio. To correct for 31" tires you would need a 5.75 ratio differential.

8 hours ago, Lonewolf1990 said:

Wasn’t making u work for it , that’s is what I found online about the tires I have , I have the stock L20b

Tire choice is not going to affect your differential strength but being larger diameter will. You're asking your L20B to move the truck about 22% farther on each turn. That's a lot or extra work. You have a 4.375 differential gear, going from a stock 23.6" to a 29" wheel diameter, it will drive like you have a 3.56 ratio. The effect will be that you'll have a hard time driving into the wind, much slower passing times and harder to climb hills. Acceleration? well forget that. You would need a 5.33 ratio differential to correct this 

These tires are a very poor choice. No way to tuck foot wide tires inside the fenders so they will throw dirt all over the sides of the truck and there may be laws about exposed tires without some sort of mug flaps over them and the risk of the body hitting them on bumps and carving grooves in them. Better check before pulled off the road. The front will be severely raked and pointing down.  Speedometer out 11 MPH at 50.

I would advise buying sensible shoes for your truck.

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's a 2wd '77 with L20B. It will barely spin the 6.00 X 14s that they came with. What are you after because this is going to look clown shoes.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

What are you after because this is going to look clown shoes.

Excellent analogy.

OP, don't try major modifications to correct a problem that you don't have.

Edited by G-Duax
On 10/23/2019 at 5:59 AM, datzenmike said:

Tire choice is not going to affect your differential strength but being larger diameter will. You're asking your L20B to move the truck about 22% farther on each turn. That's a lot or extra work. You have a 4.375 differential gear, going from a stock 23.6" to a 29" wheel diameter, it will drive like you have a 3.56 ratio. The effect will be that you'll have a hard time driving into the wind, much slower passing times and harder to climb hills. Acceleration? well forget that. You would need a 5.33 ratio differential to correct this 

These tires are a very poor choice. No way to tuck foot wide tires inside the fenders so they will throw dirt all over the sides of the truck and there may be laws about exposed tires without some sort of mug flaps over them and the risk of the body hitting them on bumps and carving grooves in them. Better check before pulled off the road. The front will be severely raked and pointing down.  Speedometer out 11 MPH at 50.

Im

going for the hot rod look, I have the Fiberglass  fender  flares on my truck so I’m not worried about the dirt getting kicked up

• Like 1

You'll have to raise the rear of the truck quite a lot. The rear fender will be just about riding on the tire tread. You'll want 3-4 or more inches above that to allow for suspension travel. If not the fenders will cut deep grooves in them. You'll be looking into the road. Worse than this.

w2gzfa0pi2x21.jpg

The 620's a small truck 8 or 9" tires are more than big enough. An old trick from the muscle car era is to run smaller tires on the front. This gives the illusion of the rear tires being even bigger than they are.

Just don't fuck the truck up, so when you give up on this you can still return it to something more reasonable.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You'll have to raise the rear of the truck quite a lot. The rear fender will be just about riding on the tire tread. You'll want 3-4 or more inches above that to allow for suspension travel. If not the fenders will cut deep grooves in them. You'll be looking into the road. Worse than this.

w2gzfa0pi2x21.jpg

The 620's a small truck 8 or 9" tires are more than big enough. An old trick from the muscle car era is to run smaller tires on the front. This gives the illusion of the rear tires being even bigger than they are.

Just don't fuck the truck up, so when you give up on this you can still return it to something more reasonable.

I do have small tires in the front I have a staggered set and and I have my rear already lifted I don’t have issues with rubbing 

Pro Trac tires have a very specific 60's-70's muscle car look. If you chose those tires for the look, then raising the rear of the truck will fit that look. I don't really like that look, and would rather make some mods to get it lower, like narrowing the rear axle and modifying the inner wheel wells. Flares are a good idea, but don't necessarily jive with the tire selection.

What are you going for? A specific look?

I never think twice about modifying a vehicle. I say go for it.

For the record, any part from any vehicle, anywhere, anytime, can be made to fit into anything. Asking if it can be done tells me that you are looking for an easy axle swap. If you're not into hard work, taking measurements and figuring things out as you go, then leave it alone.

There is also a dark side to modifying though and there is one guy here on Ratsun that comes to mind. He certainly wasn't scared to hack his truck up. What he ended up with is a freakin death trap, and he hauls his baby around in it. I think some of you may know to whom I am referring. People like that should not modify vehicles...

• Haha 1