1982 & 85 720 Frame swap

720trail4x4

I have a titled 82 720 z22s pick up that I have resurrected and an 85 z24 motor free, good compression, bill of sale only and from what I see I need the 85 frame as the front end is better for lifting and off road capability, there are more options. Upper control arm mounting location, etc. I haven't really been able to look it over really well yet, I just got the 85. I really just want to put the 82 cab and bed on the 85 frame and keep the z24 with the 85 frame for now, thinking about massaging the z22s for a light turbo application down the road. Thoughts? Are the front diffs and axles the same? Interchangeable? I know anything is possible with the right amount of money, I am trying to keep costs as low as possible for a good, reliable, solid and impressive beater looking off roading rig. I have 32s now but don't really want to kill it with huge tires. Maybe shorter gears? Rear diff locker? Budget axle swap down the road. Front and rear. I know it's a lot of information and pictures would be great. It snowed today and I will load some pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh are you saying in a round about way that one or both of these is/are a 4x4?

Early front and rear differentials are 4.375 ratio, the Nov. '82 and up ('83 model year 4x4s) are 4.11 ratio. The front could be swapped as both are R-180 but the early rears are H-190 and the later Z24 powered 4x4 are C-200. If you were swapping the 4.375 early differentials you could probably swap the entire H-190 axle into the '85.

The later Z24 powered 720 has a massive brake up-grade so go with that frame.

Just so you know the frames have a VIN stamped into them that won't match the engine plate or the VIN under the windshield. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I don't mind the VIN not matching, I'm not trying to disguise the vehicles or anything but do appreciate the heads up. I just want a better set up for off roading and it looks like the frame swap is the way to go. I will post pics and keep updates coming.

• Like 1

I do not know about COs MVD rules but in AZ when changing frame numbers we do a level 2 inspection, $25 at MVD.  Doing this gets the new frame number into the system with your title.  I do this mainly for travel through California as I had a truck impounded from a trffic stop because I had swapped chassis.  $3500 and 2 months of legal battle I got my truck back.

I have to do a vin verification here as well. It's no big deal, as I said everything is on the up and up, just want the 85 frame with the 82 cab, it's in better shape. I do appreciate the info guys, I definitely wouldn't want to have my vehicle impounded!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I do not know about COs MVD rules but in AZ when changing frame numbers we do a level 2 inspection, $25 at MVD.  Doing this gets the new frame number into the system with your title.  I do this mainly for travel through California as I had a truck impounded from a trffic stop because I had swapped chassis.  $3500 and 2 months of legal battle I got my truck back.

How the heck did a traffic stop end up with a frame vin check?  I seriously thought no cop would even know where to look, lol

• Like 1